Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting head question

Default Shooting head question

I use a 30’ type 6 sinking rio outbound short for pyramid lake and stripers. The lines gotten pretty gnarly and am worried a big fish will break it. Having trouble finding the same line online, but am also wondering if anyone can recommend a full sinking shooting head with a faster sink rate? Like 8-9 ips. Have looked into Teeny’s lines, but am looking more for a full sinking shooting head as i use a 2 handed rod for my striper fishing and at pyramid, and not sure how his lines cast on a 2 hander. Thanks for any suggestions.

I did just find the sane outbound short line i use, was looking at the wrong line, but to clarify, before i order it, curious if anyone knows of something similar (30’ full sinking head, around 300 grains) with a faster sink rate than 6-7 ips. The beaches at pyramid i like fishing, especially this time of year, have really steep dropoffs and would be nice to not have to count so long before stripping it back.
    Thanks

It looks like you can get the Rio OBS Shooting Head in 7 & 8 wt Type 6 versions on the Rio site. Doesn't help on the faster sink question.

https://www.rioproducts.com/products...-shooting-head

Thanks willies99, type 6 might be the fastest sinking i can get. It gets the job done but would be nice to not have to wait so long for my flies to sink on some beaches

Default Shooting head question

Take a look at the SA Deep Water Express Shooting Head.
    looks like 400 GR probably has a sink rate around 7 IPS?
    SA says 7 to 10 ?

Try making your own using T-14 or T-17. I use T-11 and t-14 for my striper fishing at San Luis and the Forbear. Also in the delta.
    I use T-8 and T-11 for fishing for surf perch
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

SA has a Titan S3/S5/S7 that will get you down. Casts great too...

Jcolin,

No matter what your line looks like, your going to play hell trying to break it, it's probable on a 30 lb core at the minimum, save your money. Carl

Great responses thank you guys. Steven and guido, I will look into the SA hadnt heard of those.
    Jay, I was considering that, just cutting 30’ of T14 or even 17 but wasnt sure how that would cast compared to a head? If i can still get it way out there that could be an affordable option.
    Carl, I heard the same thing from a guide, but the tungsten coating is also missing in some places and not sinking as well as it was when new so probably time for a new one and save the old as backup.
    Thanks again for the help!

J colin,

The SA lines are the top end lines and they shoot and hold up great, they are what I use in Mexico...also have you considered calling Rio and having them warranty the line? When it come to the shooting heads, you don't cast them, all your doing is slinging them, no need for a taper, perhaps weight your old line and match it up with t-14-t-17 try and make it at least 28-30 foot long and it will cast OK. Let me know what your looking for I have a card board box full of shooting heads...carlblackiedge@aol.com
    PS I have the SA deep water express "300 grains"
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 11-05-2021 at 11:33 AM.