Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stripers are Here....Maybe

Sinking line for sure. You want to get as deep as you can get usually. I have fished topwater for them but that is a long odds game unless conditions are just right.

FWIW After years of fly fishing only I bought some baitcasting gear and it is really fun! I don't striper fish with it, mostly smallies and trout.

My Delta Quiver consists of three rods. Top water, intermediate, full sink.

When I started on the delta about 18 years ago I used to find myself throwing only the full sinking line.
    The more homework and research that I do turns out I rarely ever throw my full sink rod anymore.

Studying Bobby Barrack through his articles and youtube has made a profound impact on my approach for these fish. I now seem to primarily target water that is 6-7 ft deep or less that are adjacent to deep water and weed flats or structure where those fish are going to feed. Those fish are only in that area and depth of water for one reason only, to eat. If you have Navionics on your phone there is a feature to highlight any water that is 7ft or shallower and you can study your areas well and even use google earth to see where your Tide is going to push water. If you can find an elbow turn with a nice 7ft flat and current pushing through it most likely there are fish there.

This last Saturday I was out of Sherman Island with 61 degree water and we got about 15 fish or so and a couple nice ones up to 6# they all came out of 7 ft of water or less. I hit my usual HPS spots and even found a few new spots that produced fish. Every time I hook a fish I mark that spot on my Navionics and Depth finder GPS. If I have 10 fish marks then I can plot my path and direction I want to go to cover them all at the right time.

An old school Chartreuse over White Rattle clouser is all you need out there, you can catch fish on other flies and colors but it doesn't seem to make that big of difference in my opinion. For your intermediate rod you want more of a trout streamer style unweighted fly with lots of action. For top water the only thing I throw is the Jumbo Pole Dancer and it got some attention Saturday.

Hope this info is helpful and feel free to reach out with any further questions.

That sounds like good advice. I am just about 100% full sink line. I think I need to reassess my approach to much of the Delta water. I saw a John Sherman video and he seemed to be implying he did not use the full sink line much. Thanks.