Thread: How is McCloud?

Default How is McCloud?

Hi all,

Has anyone been to the McCloud (below Ah Di Nah) lately? How is it looking? I miss camping and fishing there. But maybe Pit is a better option right now.

Thanks,

Tom

Cal Bob Grace @ The Ted Fay Fly Shop in Dunsmuir, California.

He knows what is happening on the Upper Sac, McCloud, Pit and Upper Klamath rivers.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default It’s Better but still not Good

First off let me say this is second hand info, I have not been over there yet but maybe soon.

Fish are starting to take the October Caddis drys here on the Upper Sac so they should be eating them on the Mac also. Get the fish up on drys and the water clarity matters much less.

So water clarity:

By the gauge the turbidity is running about 6-7
    Normal turbidity this time of year is more like 2-3

Some guys headed over there last week-end and the reports were that is was still hard to see your feet when wading but fish were caught . The water was reported to be kinda a white-ish chalk colored.
    (I know kinda general, but hey, second-hand)

What we have to see now is what happens after the rain forecast for next week,
    There is an awful lot of new mud still in the mud creek drainage and it is possible the rain will
    add a lot of color to the river.

Historically that has not happened, usually by the time the winter rains start up it is cold enough that mud creek flows are low and it is a short stream so the rains do not kick the flows up much.

Anyways if you are jonesin for a Mac fix it is not unreasonable to give it a try but the water will be more off-color than normal.

Just go fishing in Oct/Nov.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Mac may be fishable

Still waiting on a report of the actual inches (or feet?) of visibility, but gauge shows single digits on the turbidity
    and got a second hand report that yesterday it was "fishable" but the catching was slow.

Got another report today 11/17/2021, visibility was reported to be in the 5-8 inch range, so still poor but fishing (catching) was reported as good.

Supposed to be some high water flushing flows on the lower Mac today (by PG&E) but I did not see anything on the gauge?

Never-mind I see it in the gauge now. looks like it was from about 3:00 PM to about 6:00 PM, just a quick up and down.

Wonder what effect it had on all the Brown trout redds that are in the river right now. Minimal I hope.
    Last edited by StevenB; 11-17-2021 at 07:07 PM. Reason: add visibility numbers and flow increase