Thread: Kamikaze Sculpin

Default Kamikaze Sculpin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211013_181635.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	17487

Here's a new pattern I found called the 'Kamikaze Sculpin', I really like it. Think it'd work around here?

NK

Yes it will.

Very nice! Looks very similar to my sculpins! Tie some up stinger style and even a contrasting head color as well, like a lighter olive body with a darker olive head. I will even mix it up with some brown and yellow, for trout especially.
    Last edited by Mark Kranhold; 10-13-2021 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    Very nice! Looks very similar to my sculpins! Tie some up stinger style and even a contrasting head color as well, like a lighter olive body with a darker olive head. I will even mix it up with some brown and yellow, for trout especially.
    I'll do that for the next one I tie up. Thanks!

NK

Great looking fly..I think for steelhead or bass it would be awesome.

EricO

I think it will fish fine . Will it act like a Live Sculpin ? Nope !

Sculpin I have observed move in VERY fast darts , usually no more than 5 inches , to maybe a foot . When not darting around , they lock down on the bottom . That fly has a good profile , but will snag/become dull when fished where Sculpin Live - down on the bottom . You want a hook that rides point up (Lead or non-toxic heavy Eyes , please) . You want absorbent material (I like Rams Wool) , you want to taper that Rabbit strip's Skin to a point (hold in your Hand Skin side up , force the Fur off to one side , trim the strip to a point ) . Almost all of the Sculpin I have observed have been a deep Chocolate Brown/dark Olive , with just a touch of pale Gold overtones , and all have had pale Bellies . A 1/4 oz. Jig head w/ a Sculpin Olive wooly bugger tyed on it would be perfect - it'll hold bottom , and land after darting pretty close to where it started . I fish Sculpin flies in short , hard strips, or dead drift them while high-sticking . Sometimes crawling one works .... but that has only worked in Smallmouth streams for me , never a Trout stream .

Some Rivers have Sculpin in them , but the Sculpin fly never seems to work on them . I have never caught a Gamefish out of the American on a Sculpin , but Jeff C. has many times . On Rivers like the Pit , high sticking a Sculpin works really well .

Hope this helps !!

D.~

David, I have been fishing sculpins for 15-20 years on the American and have landed steelhead and stripers on them. It’s my go to fly for this river. Hook point up is always good as long as it’s not to big. I’ve seen a size 1 owner pierce through the maxilla portion of a steelheads mouth up into the brain and kill it. This happened to me fishing for striper as well, Clouser got ripped by a 4lb steelhead and died on me for this same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    David, I have been fishing sculpins for 15-20 years on the American and have landed steelhead and stripers on them. It’s my go to fly for this river. Hook point up is always good as long as it’s not to big. I’ve seen a size 1 owner pierce through the maxilla portion of a steelheads mouth up into the brain and kill it. This happened to me fishing for striper as well, Clouser got ripped by a 4lb steelhead and died on me for this same reason.
    Hi Mark !

Like I said , Jeff C. has taken a LOT of Steelies on the A. with a Sculpin . I fished one out there for years , with nothing but Squawfish to show for my efforts . I have zero doubts they will work there .... just not in MY Hands !

My Sculpins are #4-#8 , never Gilled or Eye hooked anything on them . Max size I fish is less than 4 inches , with pinky-Finger size my most productive .

Hope you have a fantastic Fall out there ! We're heading back to Baja Sur in December , I'll let you know how it goes -

D.~

Quote Originally Posted by David Lee View Post
    I think it will fish fine . Will it act like a Live Sculpin ? Nope !

Sculpin I have observed move in VERY fast darts , usually no more than 5 inches , to maybe a foot . When not darting around , they lock down on the bottom . That fly has a good profile , but will snag/become dull when fished where Sculpin Live - down on the bottom . You want a hook that rides point up (Lead or non-toxic heavy Eyes , please) . You want absorbent material (I like Rams Wool) , you want to taper that Rabbit strip's Skin to a point (hold in your Hand Skin side up , force the Fur off to one side , trim the strip to a point ) . Almost all of the Sculpin I have observed have been a deep Chocolate Brown/dark Olive , with just a touch of pale Gold overtones , and all have had pale Bellies . A 1/4 oz. Jig head w/ a Sculpin Olive wooly bugger tyed on it would be perfect - it'll hold bottom , and land after darting pretty close to where it started . I fish Sculpin flies in short , hard strips, or dead drift them while high-sticking . Sometimes crawling one works .... but that has only worked in Smallmouth streams for me , never a Trout stream .

Some Rivers have Sculpin in them , but the Sculpin fly never seems to work on them . I have never caught a Gamefish out of the American on a Sculpin , but Jeff C. has many times . On Rivers like the Pit , high sticking a Sculpin works really well .

Hope this helps !!

D.~
    Thanks for the input... yeah, even in the article it said that it more imitates a general minnow look than a sculpin in particular... hopefully I'll get a few fish with it though... my go to rivers are more the yuba as well as the little and big truckee. Should still work there though!

NK

Looks like it will get crushed by some steelheads. I would put a trailer hook on it if youre going to swing it but thats just because I love getting tail nippers.