Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where is the best place to sell flies?

If you'd like to sell online, try Etsy.com or eBay. People even sell flies on Amazon. Selling from your own website will be difficult because no one will know about it. There are many more "eyeballs" looking at Etsy, eBay and Amazon. You will have to pay some fees, but at the same time selling directly to the end customer on the internet will allow you to charge a higher price than selling to someone (like a fly shop) who's going to turn around and sell your flies to someone else. But if you do sell to a fly shop, their orders may be much bigger.

I recommend you also start posting on Flytyingforum.com and ask for more advice there. There are numerous current and former professional tyers participating there, and I've seen them give advice to people like you.

Good luck!
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Default On-Line Sales....

Troutsource has given good advice but failed to mention that on-line sales will expose you to the tax rules of all of the states you do business in (State & local Sales/Use Tax in Calif for example). Imagine trying to keep track of all of those differing rates/rules/regulations. As long as you stay local, you'll likely not encounter those problems but if/when you become successful, you'll probably need a bookkeeper.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian,

So your suggesting he sell illegal? That's not really fair to those of us that have to pay Tax on our flies.

Carl Blackledge

Default ON-LINE Sales....

No Carl.... I'm not suggesting he sell illegally. I'm suggesting that he not start by selling on-line as he will not necessarily be able to control who orders flies and/or from where; other states, where (as you must be aware) the rules on taxation vary from his home state. Keeping track of those rules/regs takes a up time/effort. When he becomes successful, he can either learn how to account for sales or hire a bookkeeper to assure he doesn't run afoul of tax authorities.

I re-read my post and can't really see how you got the impression that I was encouraging illegal sales. The last sentence in my post advises: "As long as you stay local, you'll likely not encounter those problems but if/when you become successful, you'll probably need a bookkeeper." Since Oregon doesn't have a sales tax, he won't have to account for that particular tax. So, he should try to sell locally unless he's prepared to comply.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I thought that would wake you up