Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower Sac Help

Default Lower Sac Help

Still trying to plan where I'm wanting to go for a weekend in early November. I've never been to the lower Sac, and I've heard that it's pretty good. I'd maybe like to check it out, but I don't have access to a drift boat. I do have kayaks that I can use for transport, but they don't work very well for fishing out of. Is walk and wade fishing going to be doable then, if so, where? Will it even be worth it? If not, where would you fish in the area? Thanks a lot!

NK

Quote Originally Posted by Natekursow View Post
    Still trying to plan where I'm wanting to go for a weekend in early November. I've never been to the lower Sac, and I've heard that it's pretty good. I'd maybe like to check it out, but I don't have access to a drift boat. I do have kayaks that I can use for transport, but they don't work very well for fishing out of. Is walk and wade fishing going to be doable then, if so, where? Will it even be worth it? If not, where would you fish in the area? Thanks a lot!

NK
    Walk and Wade should be fine. I'm not sure if the salmon made it up river with the warm temps but fish will be eating eggs in the redds, which is pretty wade friendly, watch your step. Having a kayak for transit between riffles will be a big advantage vs. trying to access from various roads and public access points.

Read the regs, I believe the river is closed above CA44 bridge at this time but I really don't know as I don't fish it much.

Call Mike Mercer at The Fly Shop in Redding, CA. for some good advice on the lower Sac.

Get a friend to go with you and go out with a local guide.

The lower Sacramento river is one of the most consistent good large wild Rainbow trout fisheries in California.

Call lower Sac guide and expert Lincoln Gray at Sierra Stream & Mountain Fly Shop in Chico, CA.

https://tie-fast.com/

(530) 345-4261
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Check the flows at https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?11370500, Sacramento River below Keswick Reservoir. If flows are at or below 5000 cfs, which they should be by November, there is a lot of good wading access. One good spot to check out is Anderson River Park. The undeveloped lower end of the park has good access to a nice riffle.

Talked with veteran Nor Cal guide Lincoln Gray yesterday.

Said not many salmon in the lower Sac but the trout are on the salmon egg drop.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

NK
    I sent you a PM
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Gray View Post
    I sent you a PM
    Make sure you get some of those Lance Gray fly patterns........did really well with them lower on the river last week. And the Yuba the week before that.................

Veteran Nor Cal guides Lincoln Gray, Lance Gray and Tim Fox really know the lower Sac, lower Feather and lower Yuba rivers.

They all work together so they can do large groups too.

Tim Fox is also guiding turkeys, pigs and deer.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Default Lower sac

NK
    We hired a guide out of The fly shop on 10/19/21 Using an indicator and a three fly set up we netted 25 or so 16-20 inches powerful, thick, beautiful. The best part was 5 plus takes per hookup. One of my better days in a while.

Hopefully I'll encounter that kind of day! Sounds AMAZING! Care to say what you were using? Thanks!

NK