Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trinity River Steelhead Winter Fishing in Jeopardy

Default Trinity River Steelhead Winter Fishing in Jeopardy

Get your Trinity river Steelhead fishing in early this year. Things could change on December 15, 2021.

There is a proposal in the works to increase the flows on the Trinity River to flood stage during the winter months. As part of the Trinity River Restoration Program (TRRP), the Bureau of Reclamation has decided to change the time period for high-flow releases that normally have occurred beginning in April. This, in an effort to restore floodplain that was lost with the construction of Trinity Dam.

To quote: "The current approach to implementing variable flows in the Trinity River results in cold water releases from Lewiston Dam that are out of sync from when the pre-dam Trinity River would have naturally received seasonal peak flows. And then there’s this: The asynchrony between flow management and the natural variability of pre-dam flows has cascading impacts on the river’s form and ecology, and perhaps the most detrimental of the impacts is to young salmon."

An online public comment meeting is scheduled for this Tuesday, October 5, 2021.

https://www.trrp.net/restoration/flo...w-variability/

If the new winter flow regime is put into effect on December 15 of this year, you can kiss the winter steelhead season on the Trinity River goodbye. With the proposed changes, the flows will be at or near flood stage throughout the winter months (Dec. 15 - Feb. 15). They might be as high as 6,500 cfs.

Can we really afford to send an allocation of 60,000 cubic feet of water down the Trinity River in a critically dry year? Especially when the benefits of such a release are questionable at best?
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

Totally incorrect information posted here. The river flows will be tied to natural flows and only get to those high unfishable flow levels when all the tribs are flowing high due to rain fall. No rain, no high unfishable flows. Just the natural hydrograph in winter that should be occuring. To suggest that it will "can kiss the winter steelhead season on the Trinity River goodbye, With the proposed changes, the flows will be at or near flood stage throughout the winter months (Dec. 15- Feb. 15)" is completely false.
    More incorrect info here: "Can we really afford to send an allocation of 60,000 cubic feet of water down the Trinity River in a critically dry year? Especially when the benefits of such a release are questionable at best?". The new flow regime is not going to send water down the Trinity that is not already in the total diversion of the river. It merely reallocates water that would be released from late spring/early summer to winter flows.
    Last edited by WLREDBAND; 10-04-2021 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks Redband ... although there are lots of people on this board impervious to reason, I support your efforts.

You're welcome D. And here another little piece of information to help dispel the myth that is perpetuating on the interwebs about what this new proposed flow regime would actually change. Hydrographic models have been run predicting the flow levels that would have occurred during the actual rain events observed for the previous five years (yep, using actual observed rainfall data), and have shown that on average there would have been 6 days yearly under this new flow regime that the river would be unfishable. Yes, on high water years there would be more than 6 days; yes on low water years there would be less than 6 days. So much for the mistaken notion that "you can kiss the winter steelhead season on the Trinity River goodbye".
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugger View Post
    Thanks Redband ... although there are lots of people on this board impervious to reason, I support your efforts.

Gotta say I kissed that river goodbye years ago but I respect what redband has going. Facts are facts. I doubt the original poster intended to provide misinformation, it’s easy to lead with your heart.

Thank you all for getting me on track here!

I called the TRRP and had a long conversation with Chad. The verbiage used in the general description of the Winter Flow Variability Proposal is somewhat confusing. I was under the impression that the Bureau would be shifting its high-flow regime that normally begins in April to December 15. That is not the case at all.

As I understand it (and someone please correct me if I am wrong), if a major storm event brings the river to 4,500 cfs at the North Fork gauge at any time during the period of December 15 to February 15, then the Bureau will help mother nature along by increasing the flows from Lewiston Dam. However, those flows will not exceed 6,500 cfs in a critically dry year, such as we are having now.

Which is not needed in my opinion. Let nature do its work during the winter months. The Bureau will continue to increase flows in the spring and early summer months, regardless.

Bottom line: We will still have a winter steelhead season. I do apologize for my error.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

Just to be clear here, I'm not picking on you personally. IMNSHO, you're one of the more conservation oriented dudes posting here. The two points you raised, that I rebutted, have been floating around for a while as part of a mis-information campaign, and you didn't say anything that others have not already said.
    And yes, your interpretation from Chad is basically correct. Flows will be tied to the NF gauge, and when they go up as a result of a rain event, so will releases. How much gets released is a complicated number as it's tied to the 5 water classification years, and dependent on what classification is in effect at that particular time. And yes, there are maximum limitations as you describe. And when the flows go down on the NF after a rain event, so will the releases, so this is just a short term impact.
    However, we can agree to disagree on whether or not this new flow regime is needed. I feel strongly that the increased winter flows will provide numerous benefits as described in the TRRP proposal. I'm all in favor for restoring a more natural hydrograph to regulated rivers, because that's how Mother Nature does it. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by ricards View Post
    Thank you all for getting me on track here!

I called the TRRP and had a long conversation with Chad. The verbiage used in the general description of the Winter Flow Variability Proposal is somewhat confusing. I was under the impression that the Bureau would be shifting its high-flow regime that normally begins in April to December 15. That is not the case at all.

As I understand it (and someone please correct me if I am wrong), if a major storm event brings the river to 4,500 cfs at the North Fork gauge at any time during the period of December 15 to February 15, then the Bureau will help mother nature along by increasing the flows from Lewiston Dam. However, those flows will not exceed 6,500 cfs in a critically dry year, such as we are having now.

Which is not needed in my opinion. Let nature do its work during the winter months. The Bureau will continue to increase flows in the spring and early summer months, regardless.

Bottom line: We will still have a winter steelhead season. I do apologize for my error.
    Last edited by WLREDBAND; 10-04-2021 at 10:52 AM.

Yes, we can agree to disagree. And I am glad that we are having this discussion. More of it is needed. Thank you.
    - John Muir

Default Unless I've Misread The Material Provided....

the TRRP Proposal appears to be based on the assumption that downstream water rights holders (e.g. major valley water contractors/growers/users) won't object or litigate in opposition. After all they've attempted to enforce their rights to water stored in the Trinity drainage in opposition to other projects in the past. Nothing here is chiseled in stone yet. Based on past history not sure I think those users won't exercise their influence/money to try either modify or scrap this proposal.

Add: the tone of the responses to the original post and the one under the "Conservation Forum" were clearly inappropriate. Hopefully, we can get back to a civil discussion of this topic....
    Last edited by Darian; 10-04-2021 at 02:29 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

At almost 77 I don't trust any government agencies any more.

It's all about money so just let that help you understand everything that happens in California.

Rhetoric is all we get for our tax dollars.

When they say that if California was one of the ~200 countries on earth it would be the 5th richest.

Go into a dark quiet place and try to calculate how much money that really is.

If you were a greedy, corrupt, unscrupulous politician what state in America would you be in?

Most of us just work, commit no crimes, pay our taxes, raise our children and try to go fishing once and a while.

We are too busy to realize what is actually going on in California, let alone America.

If you think you can watch the "nightly news" and get any truth you are really ?????????????????

90% of the World's politicians are corrupted and now with the Internet many around the World are figuring this out.

Now go tie some flies and pay your taxes and be quiet.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........