Thread: Working the Island

Default Working the Island

I took a lap around Liberty Island today. It took a while but I am glad I did it. I caught some bass but it was not a great bite. I got a couple hefty pike minnows which I like to catch as they are the original delta predator fish. I also got a few stripers. One was 24" which is an improvement. Over the last few weeks I got some about 19-20" then I got one abut 22" and now a 24" fish so the trend is good. By Thanksgiving I might have a ten pounder. I saw a school of big fish in shallow water at a cut and got some casts on them but they did not bite so I figured they were carp. I got close and saw one and it looked a lot like a big striper. I cruised around until they came back and I got some more casts on them but still no biters. I got in close again and saw one that looked like a striper. They were spooked and dispersed and I had several miles left on my lap so I got moving. They could have been big stripers but usually if you get a good cast on a group of stripers somebody will grab. Maybe next time.

Here is today's striper.

Stripers are such a fine fish! Good luck with your 10lb'er

Thanksgiving and a 10lber is just around the corner.