Thread: Tahiti / Moorea on the Fly

Smile Tahiti / Moorea on the Fly

Have any of you guys ever fished the Tahiti area or the surrounding islands?
    I've been looking for a new place to go and I've got a super cheap trip available but there's not much talk about the fishing, it's all "honeymoon" and massage type stuff I could care less about
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Hi Tony, while Tahiti is a beautiful place there's no flats fishing really worth getting excited about. There's blue water fishing if you're into that, but if you can get to Anaa atoll. There's big Hawaii-size Bonefish to be had. Unfortunately it's 200 miles to the east.
    Good luck and look forward to a trip report!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Buzolich View Post
    Have any of you guys ever fished the Tahiti area or the surrounding islands?
    I've been looking for a new place to go and I've got a super cheap trip available but there's not much talk about the fishing, it's all "honeymoon" and massage type stuff I could care less about
    Tony
    Don't know if this helps, but I found this... https://aussieflyfisher.com/trip/tahiti-fly-fishing/

Rangiroa has bones and trevally. They have a really cool drift dive through the reef pass there. Tetiaroa has bones but they eat the sand worms there. It is owned by Brando's son. Heard the other islands are pretty fished out. You should go to Fanning Island when CI opens up again.
    Don Memmer

Aloha Don.

I've tried several times to book a double island trip with the FLY SHOP in Redding Ca. and they always say NO. My thinking it would be great to fly in once and spend a week at each island, Fanning and Christmas Is. and save some money on airfare instead of fly there twice.

Maybe if it ever opens up again? Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

I met some guys in CI who had just come back from fanning. They said that they would never go back, why???? Then I talked to a bunch of guys who went surfing there and they loved it, not for fishing but for the perfect waves. I'd love to go back and surf but the old bones tell me NO.
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

I have been to both CI and to Fanning, but not on the same trip. We plan on going again, but not via the Fly Shop. The group that plans to build, and has the permits already approved to build the new resort will book the trips themselves from what I've been told. our plan is to fish both places on the same trip. Do NOT book Fanning on or around the full moon....Bob K