Thread: Lower Klamath half-pounders

Default Lower Klamath half-pounders

I've always wanted to take my jet up the lower klamath this time of year for half-pounders on a spey. For those of you who have done it, do you have any advice on where you stay, running the river, the minimum flows, when the run is done in the Lower K. , etc.? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Over the past 30 years I have fished the lower Klamath river with 4 different jet boat guides.

That does not make me an expert on that part of the river but I can tell you it is very special.

Larry and Mack at Time Flies in Arcadia was our first experience with that lovely lower river in a jet boat.

Then Mike Kuczynski, owner of the Eureka Fly Shop, took Marilyn and I out on our honeymoon over 30 years ago.

I was invited several time to go with Terry Tomas and his group with top guide Alan Borges.

One of the most special trips was to stay at the top of the big rock at Rod and Marry Ann's "Buzzard's Roost".

Our guides where Klamath experts Bruce Slightom and Rick Jorgensen. It was a once in a lifetime exsperience.

Starting in the 1970s we young Baby Boomers fished the middle Klamath river with Joe Shirshac's guidance.

In those days we fished from Johnson's Bar all the way up to Happy Camp.

Joe started fly fishing that part of the Klamath river in the 1950s.

Bruce Slightom of Eureka guided the lower Klamath river for many decades and has now retired.

He told me that he did not like to get customers on the calendar until September 15.

Bruce said that normally, by then, the river had a good amount of fish in it.

Terry Thomas and his group usually stays at the Ravenwood Motel in Klamath, CA.

https://ravenwoodmotel.com/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I was fortunate to have attended Humboldt State University in the late 1960’s and often fished the Klamath River. Additionally, I supervised the Klamath River Salmon and Steelhead Research Project in the late 1970’s and 80’s while with the California Department of Fish and Game. My first book, The Half-Pounder, A Steelhead Trout Life History and Fly Fishing included much of the information you are seeking but all copies have been sold out for some time. You may find a copy in a local fly fishing club library or reach out to others on this forum. You might also check out my blog articles at www.dennisplee.com. Streamflows on the lower Klamath are at about 2,300 cfs currently and jet boats can negotiate the river for several miles upstream. However, there are numerous shallow gravel bars and it is wise to be very cautious. Last week I watched a jet boat take a short cut on a point and bottom out at the lower end. We even found the river bottom a few times coming back in the late evening shadows. Does not do the jet pump any good but fortunately no serious problems.

Good luck,

Dennis

Thanks Bill and Dennis for the feedback. I appreciate it.

With Dennis' two books, as well as the movie, "Rivers of a Lost Coast", I feel that much of the history of California's Salmon and Steelhead has been saved. This makes me feel good knowing it is not all going to be lost to time.

After you have caught some wild Steelhead on a swung fly you are part of the "family".

Steelhead expert Mike McCune said the quality of Steelhead you catch on a swung fly is, on average, a better fish.

There is a big resurgence of classic Steelheading due to the popularity of Two Handed / Spey fishing.

I also see a big move to fishing mostly a floating line for Summer and Fall Steelhead.

The other thing that will let me leave this earth some day and feel better is the removal of dams and the restoration of streams, World wide now.

Remember, on average, October is the top month for classic steelhead.

Due to my love for Steelheading and close association with many great Steelheaders, alive and passed, I can give you some good advice and connect you with some good lodges and guides.

Many of us started our Steelhead passion on the lower American river........I hope the best for our river.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........