Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eastern Idaho/ western Wyoming

Default Eastern Idaho/ western Wyoming

Any tips or ideas for a mid October, 7-10 day fishing/camping trip to eastern Idaho or western Wyoming. I suspect most CGÂ’s will be closed but they arenÂ’t a priority anyway. Thinking about the HenryÂ’s fork, Teton and South Fork since theyÂ’re fairly close together but donÂ’t really know anything about fishing them, camping or access. Would love to go into the park for Slough creek and the Lamar but I think weÂ’d have to drive too far from any possible camp site. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Not all CG are closed and dispersed camping is also an option in many areas of the NFs, but check the regulations.

One oddity of the Teton Valley is that many restaurants shut down for a few weeks during the shoulder season, so anticipating that is wise.

Access is fairly abundant and well described online for the Teton and HF. On the south fork, boats are a real advantage but in the fall it’s wadeable at public access points around the bridge and boat ramps. Don’t forget about the Madison and the Snake near Jackson as other options. Plus many tribs if you’re into the smaller stream thing. In the park, the Madison and Firehole will both fish great in the fall and access is easy for both. Don’t forget bear spray.

Looking like a warm fall but the weather can always turn on a dime. Last year first snow at our cabin in Driggs was Oct 10th. It already snowed a bit at Targhee a few weeks back.

Check with All Seasons Angler in Idaho Falls. They usually have current info for the area. You might find T-shirt weather or Parka temps so expect anything. We usually head for South Texas about the time you plan on arriving and it’s not unusual to have snow in IF before we leave. I’m looking at FROST on my grass right now so hopper season is pretty much over. The South Fork flow is stepping down right now. Right now it’s around 5,000CFS which is somewhat wadeable. It eventually Goes down to the 1200CFS range but the timing varies yearly. You might encounter BWO hatches and Caddis and I’ve caught some good fish on a small muddler.

The Henry’s, below Ashton dam has lots of stuff still going on. BWO, midge action but I generally fished a bead head PT.

Like PV said a boat is a real plus for the SF but if the water is low enough wading works!

Quote Originally Posted by Idadon View Post
    Check with All Seasons Angler in Idaho Falls. They usually have current info for the area. You might find T-shirt weather or Parka temps so expect anything. We usually head for South Texas about the time you plan on arriving and it’s not unusual to have snow in IF before we leave. I’m looking at FROST on my grass right now so hopper season is pretty much over. The South Fork flow is stepping down right now. Right now it’s around 5,000CFS which is somewhat wadeable. It eventually Goes down to the 1200CFS range but the timing varies yearly. You might encounter BWO hatches and Caddis and I’ve caught some good fish on a small muddler.

The Henry’s, below Ashton dam has lots of stuff still going on. BWO, midge action but I generally fished a bead head PT.

Like PV said a boat is a real plus for the SF but if the water is low enough wading works!
    Thanks for the replies, I feel like a kid in a candy store with too many’s options and not enough time. Just gonna have to pick a couple and hope for the best, I don’t think we can go wrong anywhere.

FWIW the Teton fished great for a couple of hours this afternoon on small parachutes and soft hackles.

I’m headed to YNP/Firehole tomorrow. The weather is amazing this weekend but will take a downturn on Weds. Tuesday will likely be the last day in the 70s this year.

Teton is a fun (my home) fishery but not necessarily one I would travel to fish for. Bare in mind waterfowl season will be starting and folk's will be shooting ducks at both low light periods, jump shooting is super popular on the Teton these days. S. Fork/Henry's for streamer and baetis fishing will be in full force. The snake in Jackson is hitting winter flows Oct 6 and should fish uniquely well this year. Henry's lake is starting to turn back on. Plenty of campsites are still available. Small streams are pretty darn low this year and most are likely too low. Jimmy's in IF a great recommendation, Jimmy is honest to a fault and can suggest good stretches of water or lesser visited water if so desired.

Be warned, the weather is taking a significant turn down. The weatherman is hinting at snow higher up and in Idaho Falls early next week. Still fish to be caught but might be lousy camping weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Idadon View Post
    Be warned, the weather is taking a significant turn down. The weatherman is hinting at snow higher up and in Idaho Falls early next week. Still fish to be caught but might be lousy camping weather.

I can see snow out my window at elevation right now.

Yup, I left Driggs yesterday at about noon to come back to Sacramento and there was some snow accumulating up on the Tetons here and there. Bring it on, it's needed badly out there just like back here.

Seems like a few days of unsettled weather then perhaps back to 60 in the valley by later next week. Streamer bite should be quite good the next few days though.

Yes light snow in upper lost area last night and forecast for sun valley on Monday