Thread: Klamath - China Point Access

Default Klamath - China Point Access

China Point has been closed for years due to landslide. Any info on whether they ever plan to fix the access?

Went down as far as I could last year, it just ends a loooooong way above the river. I doubt it will ever be repaired, and the forest has pretty well reclaimed the old roadbed. Not even a path now…

Many years ago there was a gravel road on the north side of the lower Dean river in British Columbia, Canada.

50 years ago Joe Shirshac and friends would get flown into a gravel runway down near the mouth of the river.

An old timer, Felix, lived there and had an old pickup truck that he would haul anglers up and down the river in.

By the time I went there with Joe and friends, maybe 35 years ago, Felix was gone and the road was grown over.

We had to be flown in by helicopter to about "17 mile" for a two week camping/fishing trip.

This trip was one of my "top ten" wilderness fishing experiences........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

We got to drive into the lower Klamath river on locked logging roads once when we stayed at Rod and Mary Ann's "Buzzard's Roost" on top of the big pointed rock. Bruce Slightom and Rick Jorgensen where our guides. A wonderful experience......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I hiked in there also and the forest is gobbling it back up. I could hardly find the old put in. Mario Gomez, a guide up there, had some ideas about how to do it and was optimistic but it seemed like a lot of work and some difficult government hurdles. Seattle to Gordon’s is a pretty good alternative float. There is one nasty spot on that float but we made it through and we have pretty limited river skills.

It won’t ever be fixed. With Seattle creek a short trek above there’s no real incentive