Waze said I could make Heenan in two hours so I drove up hwy 50 to try my luck. The drive was more scenic green than I thought I would see. I was surprised to see both sides of the road after Woodfords was scorched almost to Markleeville. I saw many structures saved by the brave Cal Fire crews. There were still smoldering pockets but otherwise the drive up Hwy 50 was uneventful and fast.

I fished most of the day trying a multitude of flies and depths. I didn’t see one fish to hand on the whole lake. Maybe ten float tubes spread around the front half the lake. I didn’t get a hit or strike or an air walk. It wan’t my day. I was packing to go home and a very nice young man and I shared intel. He said he caught five. He was too far from my view to see so after talking I believe he was the big cahuna of the day. He did throat samples on the fish and found out they were full of daphnia. He saw some huge schools of them near where he was fishing. The other stomach samples held scuds. He caught most of his fish on scuds with a type 4 sinking line. Water temp is 59 so the fish are deeper than an intermediate will handle. Going again Wednesday to see if I can get some on scuds. Hopefully the daphnia bloom will be gone.