Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GoPro Video Cameras

Default GoPro Video Cameras

Anyone out there using a GoPro to record his or her angling adventures? I understand that some of the lower-priced ones experience occasional recording glitches and the audio is not all that great. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

I have done some GoPro video. I mostly used a borrowed GoPro that was maybe a 2010 model then I bought one in 2019. You have to shoot a long time to get any fishing action worth watching. Seems like people mount two of them, one behind them and one on their chest, and run them all day to get maybe a few minutes worth watching. I found the video to be good quality but the photos to be not good but people don’t buy them for the photos. You spend a lot of time shooting and editing and then it seems like nobody is all that interested in watching it anyway. There is so much content on YouTube you end up as just another stupid fishing video on the internet. I am thinking of trying it again but would need a second camera so I could do the two camera set up.
    Last edited by John H; 09-28-2021 at 04:28 PM.

Thanks for your reply, John. First of all, I would like to express my admiration and appreciation for your excellent photography that has appeared on this forum over the years.

I like the idea of borrowing a GroPro and trying it out before committing to a purchase. Unfortunately, I don’t know of anyone that has one that could be loaned. I used to work as a news videographer, so I am keenly aware of all the work and attention to detail that goes into producing good video.

Most of my flyfishing these days is done on lakes out of an eight-foot pram. There is barely enough room in my pram for me and my fishing gear. Making extra room for GoPro accessories would severely challenge my organizational abilities. And then there is the problem of trying to do two things at once. In this case, fishing and trying to produce video. Unfortunately, I am not very good at multi-tasking.

Having said that, I believe that well-produced video can be an important storytelling device. I would use the GoPro for conservation matters that I feel strongly about. At this time, priority number one would be saving the few remaining Pit River strain rainbow trout in Baum Lake. So, for the time being, I will have to make do with my little Canon point and shoot camera.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

Those are beautiful fish. I was not aware of the pit river strain. If you have a story to tell it would be worth doing. If I was in Redding I would loan you mine.

Thanks, John. I am not sure when the Pit River strain of rainbow trout was introduced into Baum Lake and Crystal Lake. Sixties? Seventies? At any rate, it certainly predates when I started fishing Baum Lake back in the eighties. They are indeed beautiful fish.
    - John Muir

I've used GoPro's in the past. The ones I had were the GoPro4 and 5. Now I think there up to 7 or maybe even 8. I started selling GoPro via the internet that was until all the box stores started carrying them. I have used them down in Baja, Belize, striper fishing and e even trout fishing. Back then I made my own wide angel lens for the camera. Nowadays, they are blue tooth controls, which I think you can sync more than one camera for start up.
    I had 3 GoPro's mounted in my 8' pram, using the attachments. Like John said, you have to shoot a lot of video to get a little usable footage. I shot a bass video using a GoPro and a pro video camera. The only thing was that the GoPro was in a different setting to the big camera. When I captured everything in Final Cut Pro for editing I had to do a little extra work. I don't do video's anymore or I should say I don't edit large video's.
    My go to camera now is the Olympus TG4. It shoots underwater and caputures some great still photo's. I used it the past two week in baja mainly shooting video of the trip. So now I have to sit down and edit all the footage.
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

I think 10 is about to come out. I have one camera, a 3 or 4. First for me was buying a fist full or clone batteries and enough chargers to charge all at the same time if need be. Batteries don't last for squat, because it's a micro camera . The chest mount is more helpful(steady) than the headband mount( make you dizzy). Video is the primary use , but I have an older one. Some folks sell their stuff as soon as anew one comes out , so have friends like that!

Let us know when you have that Baja footage edited and posted online, Jay. GoPro is all the way up to version 10 now, which sort of concerns me. It's like the iPhone. Every few months they come out with a new version, so obsolescence is a factor. The new cameras have voice control, which could be useful in activating the camera if you are using a head strap and don't want to reach up and fumble with the camera when you need to begin recording. But I guess you could do that with a smartphone and blue tooth app. I don't carry my smartphone with me when I am fishing, though.
    - John Muir

wow, I'm way behind times in the GoPro game. I gave away all my GoPro cameras once they started getting expensive. Like it was mentioned, the batteries didn't last worth a crap. We use to carry them at the sportsman's warehouse here in Fresno and we got a good employee discount on them but still I didn't pick one up.
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

Quote Originally Posted by ricards View Post
    Anyone out there using a GoPro to record his or her angling adventures? I understand that some of the lower-priced ones experience occasional recording glitches and the audio is not all that great. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
    You can choose this camera because of more backup