Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Klamath Info Head's Up

Thanks Al, I like to go up there third and fourth week of October. Checked inciweb this morning and they're making lots of progress on the McCash fire. Was 41% three days ago and now up to 61%, and that fires been burning since the end of July. I have heard good reports for steelhead in the lower Klamath and on the Rogue, so fingers are crossed that no new fires break out and the showers in the forecast next week are substantial.

I'll be up for a few days next week and back a couple weeks later. I'll try to remember to post some conditions info. Check for a PM.

Default Oct 5-6-7 report

A brief report on the Klamath Oct 5-6-7th. I stayed in the Happy Camp area and talked with several other fishers. Some fished the immediate area and were catching adults and half pounders. Others, myself included, went down river to the Somes Bar area. It seemed to me like a pretty good run of hot HPs down there. It rained a bit so the river came up and cooled down, but still clear. Some of the algae cleared out. The big slide repair west of Happy Camp is complete and no road closure/ controls there. A utility crew is doing some work east of Happy Camp and there were short waits to get behind the pilot car. Very clean air while I was there- some fire crews doing remedial SWPP work, but not much active fire fighting.
    This is a good time to go if you can swing it. There are fish through the lower and middle sections.

Went up for a few days, came home Wednesday, pretty slow on the lower section of the river. Most people I know or spoke with were getting a few half pounders and fewer adults, I managed to find one. Also heard the mouth closed which certainly can slow down the lower river. Always good to be up there fish or not, had a buddy take some good pictures of me and my pooch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EB396CDB-8403-4777-A220-F7CD9BAFE74E.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	594.4 KB 
ID:	17494Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F4AEA910-80EB-4601-8488-8B78F9D4F373.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	200.0 KB 
ID:	17492Click image for larger version. 

Name:	98FE420E-6FF7-4ECE-B868-7CFF4B63EAA0.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	17493
    Last edited by Bwag; 10-16-2021 at 09:42 AM.

Awesome pictures. In the words of the late great Thomas Hayter, "Timing is Everything".
    I actually had a room booked for most of next week but cancelled mainly because I've been kind of a puss lately. Hopefully things go well for those that are willing to put in the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by MThompson View Post
    Awesome pictures. In the words of the late great Thomas Hayter, "Timing is Everything".
    I actually had a room booked for most of next week but cancelled mainly because I've been kind of a puss lately. Hopefully things go well for those that are willing to put in the effort.
    Luck don’t hurt either! Don’t know if cancelling makes you a puss, we’ve all got our levels of comfort, be it weather, camping conditions or otherwise, no sense in being in that place if you aren’t going to enjoy it. I’m relatively young, don’t mind suffering for the fish or ducks yet I know a day will come when that won’t be the case.

I just got back. Mostly fished Happy Camp area, fishing was great then got a bit tougher for me when the algae got bad after returning from the Rogue. My experience was there are way more adults and way less half pounders this season, at least in the runs I like swinging. Lots of 3-5 lb fish and lost a couple quite a bit bigger. Hopefully this rain will clear the river a bit. I still hooked fish in the algae but really don't like fishing in it and start to lose confidence in them being able to see my small wet flies.