Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pyramid Lake- Toxic algae in bloom

The blue/green algae is very toxic, it killed a horse up by my old house from drinking out of the farm pond.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    The blue/green algae is very toxic, it killed a horse up by my old house from drinking out of the farm pond.
    Blue green algae has been consumed for thousands of years by humans likely from the dawn of humankind and by earlier hominids. It's one of the oldest forms of life on planet earth and one of the oldest food sources for humans and prior hominids and diverse animal and living creatures consumption. The Aztecs were known to cultivate it and consume it in large quantities. I think it's safe to assume that other ancient peoples such as homo erectus, cro-magnon man, neanderthals, etc and the earliest homo sapiens along with other hominids various apes likely also consumed it, as it is readily available world wide and easily collected and an excellent food source high in protein some 60-75% protein by content. Today, it's farmed as a food source around the world and right here in California as you can see by the link I included below. It's made into various products like Spirulina and many other products for consumption and is sold as a health food in capsules at health food stores and grocery stores everywhere. Blue/green algae is commonly referred to as a "superfood" as it's high in protein and has many health benefits and is used to treat various illnesses and conditions. Little baby fishes of all species including everyone you like to catch eat blue green algae and bigger fishes eat the little fishes and we like to catch and eat the fishes.
    DO you like living? Do you like existing? DO you like breathing oxygen?
    Thank blue green algae for the air you breath as it is responsible for 90% (per the article link below) of the earths photosynthesis....the production of oxygen.
    Do we in part and all life on planet earth owe our existence to blue green algae?

From the first article/link below......

""""Historical Usage of Klamath Blue Green Algae

First a little background: Algae were the first life form on the planet and the first to achieve photosynthesis with the by-product of oxygen; setting the stage for life for all organisms. Even now, algae are still responsible for up to 90% of all photosynthesis on earth.There are over 20,000 species, ranging from unicellular to multicellular organisms such as the seaweeds – the largest and the most complex group of all. Algae as a food supplement have been used by people for thousands of years. Early civilizations including the Aztecs and African tribes used blue green algae as an additional source of protein.""""

""""Spirulina is a type of blue-green algae that grows in both salt and fresh water. It may be one of the most nutrient-dense foods on earth.This tiny alga is packed with nutrients. A single tablespoon (7 grams) of dried spirulina powder contains (2Trusted Source):

Protein: 4 grams
    Vitamin B1 (thiamine): 11% of the RDA
    Vitamin B2 (riboflavin): 15% of the RDA
    Vitamin B3 (niacin): 4% of the RDA
    Copper: 21% of the RDA
    Iron: 11% of the RDA
    It also contains decent amounts of magnesium, potassium and manganese and small amounts of almost every other nutrient that you need.

In addition, the same amount holds only 20 calories and 1.7 grams of digestible carbs.

Gram for gram, spirulina may be the single most nutritious food on the planet.

A tablespoon (7 grams) of spirulina provides a small amount of fat — around 1 gram — including both omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids in an approximately 1.5–1.0 ratio.
    The quality of the protein in spirulina is considered excellent — comparable to eggs. It gives all the essential amino acids that you need. """""

https://www.healthy.co.uk/blog/klama...gae-brain-food
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...OC_TITLE_HDR_2
    http://klamathvalley.com/
    http://klamathvalley.com/aphanizomenon-flos-aquae/

Per the article stating that the Aztecs and African tribes were known to collect and consume blue green algae I'd say it would stand to reason that other peoples all over the planet including the Klamath peoples and the Paiute people and all sorts of peoples including the earliest known hominids and even apes figured out that we can collect this nutritious food source during specific times of the year like early spring and summer when it first becomes available and collect and consume it but should avoid collecting and consuming blue green algae when it potentially becomes toxic under certain conditions primarily during the heat of summer into fall.

I'll bet anyone I can dig up via a google search an article or some university master's or phd thesis research paper on the harvesting and consumption of blue green algae by the Klamath or Paiute peoples or other peoples throughout history.
    Last edited by FREEDOM-FLYFISHER; 09-25-2021 at 02:39 PM.

Geez. I literally did a one click search.

Stop all the BS, it's beneath you.

https://mywaterquality.ca.gov/habs/

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post
    Geez. I literally did a one click search.

Stop all the BS, it's beneath you.

https://mywaterquality.ca.gov/habs/

Ed
    You have to read and comprehend things clearly and not fabricate things in your mind and read in things that aren't stated. I never stated that blue green algae blooms can't become toxic or become a problem. They obviously can become toxic and harmful but they aren't harmful in and of themselves and are consumed throughout history including harvesting and consumption today. From the original article posted from the Reno Gazette Journal it clearly states that the current Pyramid lake algae bloom is naturally annually occurring and is not currently toxic and the lake is currently open to all types of recreation.

Did you read and comprehend the article and video you posted? It clearly stated that blue green algae blooms are naturally occurring and aren't toxic in and of themselves but can become toxic and should that occur water authorities will then post warnings and possible closures should that becomes the case. So until then it's nothing to panic about or get worked up about. I also presented facts regarding blue green algae harvesting and consumption from the articles I linked as the source.

......Stop all the BS, it's beneath you.
    Last edited by FREEDOM-FLYFISHER; 09-25-2021 at 02:52 PM.

The main takeaway from the link I posted which you don't mention is that Blue Green Algae, up to a certain point is harmless. The point where it becomes Toxic can only be defined by a lab.
    I think you are doing a disservice by downplaying that.
    Yeah, just algae is nothing to worry about. Red Lake goes green every year, as does Round. No one has died from either that I know of. But at what point would you say it stops being benign and is toxic? Without a definitive answer wouldn't most do well to consider it all toxic and stay out of it?

Alright the BS part was a bit overreaction, sorry about that. Just seems you're carrying this thing way farther than it ever had to go to make your point.

Now if you'll excuse me the toxic green algae that I have on the stove for dinner is almost done, gotta go.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post
    The main takeaway from the link I posted which you don't mention is that Blue Green Algae, up to a certain point is harmless. The point where it becomes Toxic can only be defined by a lab.
    I think you are doing a disservice by downplaying that.
    Yeah, just algae is nothing to worry about. Red Lake goes green every year, as does Round. No one has died from either that I know of. But at what point would you say it stops being benign and is toxic? Without a definitive answer wouldn't most do well to consider it all toxic and stay out of it?

Alright the BS part was a bit overreaction, sorry about that. Just seems you're carrying this thing way farther than it ever had to go to make your point.

Now if you'll excuse me the toxic green algae that I have on the stove for dinner is almost done, gotta go.

Ed
    LOL, Here again you are fabricating things I did not say. I think you just want to argue just like 2 others commenting above that read and fabricating things in their minds that I never said or even implied being that it's always "harmless" I stated that it is currently harmless at Pyramid Lake as the Reno Gazette Journal article clearly states. I'm just providing factual information on blue/green algae as to its potential toxicity and also it's use as a food source. I also posted a link to 2020 Pyramid Lake where it became toxic and dangerous and the lake was closed to use. So right there with that link I provided hazards as to its toxicity. I am not "down playing" anything as you are trying to claim for the sake of argument. I also stated that if it becomes toxic the lake will be closed to use like it was in 2020. You're trying to say I am down playing the hazards that it can become toxic at any time a moments notice. Do you not realize the water is being tested regularly likely on a daily basis and if it becomes toxic the community will be notified and the lake closed to use?

I did state and this is just my opinion with my knowledge of blue green algae from fishing several lakes that have potentially toxic blooms and have posted fixed signs about the hazards of blue green algae, that it is likely entirely gone as I type this. It requires extreme heat and calm stagnant waters to reproduce and become toxic which we had into September but that is over. We just had high temps in the 70's and low temps in the 30's. That will kill off any algae bloom and/or prevent it from becoming toxic. Weather reports for next week show high temperatures in the low 60's for highs and low 30's for lows. Fall is here....bye bye blue/green algae bloom. I am quite sure you will be getting an all clear on the algae bloom at Pyramid in the next few days. But before you go off on me, this is just my opinion and a guess.

I in fact stated from the article/video you posted that it is harmless but can become toxic. This is what I said....."It clearly stated that blue green algae blooms are naturally occurring and aren't toxic in and of themselves but can become toxic and should that occur water authorities will then post warnings and possible closures should that becomes the case."

You really have a problem with that? I provided a lot of factual information on blue green algae and it's use as a food source and its positive role in producing oxygen for the planet and it being historically consumed as a food source in the past and today which many people may not have known backing that information up with interesting informative articles.

You asked....."But at what point would you say it stops being benign and is toxic? Without a definitive answer wouldn't most do well to consider it all toxic and stay out of it?"

No, I disagree with this but you or anyone else can do as you see fit. Don't fish any lakes because they just about all have blue green algae blooms. If I were to avoid fishing lakes with blue green algae I would be not able to fish any of the lakes that I fish. When the authorities tell me to stay home, a particular lake is toxic then I will do that. Until then I won't have any concerns, but like I said do as you see fit, if you are worried about potential harm from blue green algae.

I think you just want to argue for the sake of arguing and are going out of your way to do so.

ANYWAY......GOOD FISHING TO YOU!
    Last edited by FREEDOM-FLYFISHER; 09-25-2021 at 06:03 PM.

Default Blue/Green Algae....

OK,.... Let's all agree that we've had enough to say on this topic, get beyond it and go fishing....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Crazy shit Eh! Great literature but I was just stating what happened in my neck of the woods! We should all go out and have some shots of some blue/green complimented with a nice stogy!

ANYWAY......GOOD FISHING TO YOU!

Same to you brother.

Quote Originally Posted by FREEDOM-FLYFISHER View Post
    Blue green algae has been consumed for thousands of years by humans ,,,
    Do we in part and all life on planet earth owe our existence to blue green algae?

From the first article/link below......

""""Historical Usage of Klamath Blue Green Algae

First a little background: Algae were the first life form on the planet and the first to achieve photosynthesis with the by-product of oxygen; setting the stage for life for all organisms. Even now, algae are still responsible for up to 90% of all photosynthesis on earth.There are over 20,000 species, ranging from unicellular to multicellular organisms such as the seaweeds – the largest and the most complex group of all. Algae as a food supplement have been used by people for thousands of years. Early civilizations including the Aztecs and African tribes used blue green algae as an additional source of protein.""""

""""Spirulina is a type of blue-green algae that grows in both salt and fresh water. It may be one of the most nutrient-dense foods on earth.This tiny alga is packed with nutrients. A single tablespoon (7 grams) of dried spirulina powder contains (2Trusted Source):

Protein: 4 grams
    Vitamin B1 (thiamine): 11% of the RDA
    Vitamin B2 (riboflavin): 15% of the RDA
    Vitamin B3 (niacin): 4% of the RDA
    Copper: 21% of the RDA
    Iron: 11% of the RDA
    It also contains decent amounts of magnesium, potassium and manganese and small amounts of almost every other nutrient that you need.

In addition, the same amount holds only 20 calories and 1.7 grams of digestible carbs.

Gram for gram, spirulina may be the single most nutritious food on the planet.

A tablespoon (7 grams) of spirulina provides a small amount of fat — around 1 gram — including both omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids in an approximately 1.5–1.0 ratio.
    The quality of the protein in spirulina is considered excellent — comparable to eggs. It gives all the essential amino acids that you need. """""

https://www.healthy.co.uk/blog/klama...gae-brain-food
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...OC_TITLE_HDR_2
    http://klamathvalley.com/
    http://klamathvalley.com/aphanizomenon-flos-aquae/

Per the article stating that the Aztecs and African tribes were known to collect and consume blue green algae I'd say it would stand to reason that other peoples all over the planet including the Klamath peoples and the Paiute people and all sorts of peoples including the earliest known hominids and even apes figured out that we can collect this nutritious food source during specific times of the year like early spring and summer when it first becomes available and collect and consume it but should avoid collecting and consuming blue green algae when it potentially becomes toxic under certain conditions primarily during the heat of summer into fall.

I'll bet anyone I can dig up via a google search an article or some university master's or phd thesis research paper on the harvesting and consumption of blue green algae by the Klamath or Paiute peoples or other peoples throughout history.

There are over 2000 types of cyanobacteria in over 150 genera. To equate Spirulina with one of the toxic cyanobacteria is like equating poison hemlock with garden carrots (but hey, poison hemlock must be safe because it is in the carrot family).