Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pyramid Lake- Toxic algae in bloom

Default Pyramid Lake- Toxic algae in bloom

Since I am fairly new to the Reno area I don't know if this is abnormal,
    but with the season opening in 2 weeks it might be something to monitor.

Article from today's Reno newspaper:

15 Sept 2021

Algae bloom at Pyramid Lake could be toxic to humans and pets
    Jim Krajewski
    Reno Gazette Journal

The annual algae bloom at Pyramid lake is causing the water to be off-colored and could be toxic.

Some beaches could be closed as a results of the blue-green algae bloom.

The Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe says the blue-green algae bloom, also known as cyanobacteria, can produce several types of toxins that could affect the liver, nerves, skin, stomach and intestines.

These toxins can be harmful to humans, pets and wildlife.

More:Virginia Lake algae bloom dangerous to people and pets, city warns

The combination of nutrients, temperature and light can result in rapid growth of algae until it forms a bloom. The bloom rises to the top of the water and forms a surface scum.

The tribe advises people to avoid or minimize contact with the water showing the heavy bloom and to move to areas with cleaner water.

Other safety tips:

After swimming, vigorously towel dry off and rinse with fresh water. Towel dry pets that have been in contact with the water.
    Avoid drinking the water or allowing pets to drink it.
    If you or your pet become ill or develop a rash after contact with the bloom, seek medical or veterinary attention.
    Report health concerns to the Pyramid Lake Natural Resources department at 775-574-0101, ext. 13.

Fishing for Lahontan Cutthroat Trout opens Oct. 1 at Pyramid Lake and continues through June 30.

Fishing for Sacramento perch is open year-round.
    Last edited by JayDubP; 09-15-2021 at 07:59 AM.

Too many of our local lakes and ponds are getting this too.

It is a completely man made problem. We need to get folks to stop fertilizing their lawns and not fixing septic system leaks...

Quote Originally Posted by JayDubP View Post

The annual algae bloom at Pyramid lake is causing the water to be off-colored and could be toxic.
    Key words "annual", and "could be".
    It's nothing out of the ordinary. It's natural. Algae blooms happen every season on lakes all over the planet.
    We live in a world of 24/7/365 news and the talking heads have to create content and stories to feed that beast/
    Much ado about nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by FREEDOM-FLYFISHER View Post
    Key words "annual", and "could be".
    It's nothing out of the ordinary. It's natural. Algae blooms happen every season on lakes all over the planet.
    We live in a world of 24/7/365 news and the talking heads have to create content and stories to feed that beast/
    Much ado about nothing.
    So it's not really harmful? Kind of like COVID-19 then.

It kills dogs and small children who get it in their mouths. Not harmful at all apparently...

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    So it's not really harmful? Kind of like COVID-19 then.
    Every year Pyramid and lakes all over the world have naturally occurring blue/green algae blooms that can potentially become toxic. I fish many lakes and every year the blue green algae is thick, a solid layer on the surface.
    I never said it couldn't become harmful. I said key word, "annual and "could be" as in it "could be" harmful and it occurs "annually" naturally every year.

So in answer to your question, "So it's not really harmful? Kind of like COVID-19 then" ....the answer would be no it's not harmful. The article clearly states this multiple times, that it is not currently harmful, that it is not currently toxic.
    If you drink the water it "could be" harmful if it becomes toxic. So don't drink the water should it become toxic.
    Make sure your pet/kids don't go in the water and don't drink the water should it become toxic.
    So it's very easy to avoid any harm.
    Last edited by FREEDOM-FLYFISHER; 09-25-2021 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    It kills dogs and small children who get it in their mouths. Not harmful at all apparently...
    lol, You are exaggerating. It doesn't just kill dogs and small children. Where in the article is that stated? The article clearly states multiple times that the water is not currently toxic.
    If the water does becomes toxic don't let your dog or kids go in the water or drink the water. Actually, if the water does become toxic they will close the lake to all use as they have done in the past just last year 2020. So you won't even be able to go to the lake and there is zero no chance you can be inadvertently harmed by the water. I live right across the street from Virginia Lake for 7 years. Every year we have the so called, "TOXIC" algae bloom and the news on it. No one has died. No one has gotten sick.

Did you read this part?
    "After swimming, vigorously towel dry off and rinse with fresh water. Towel dry pets that have been in contact with the water.
    Avoid drinking the water or allowing pets to drink it."

They are saying you can still swim and to avoid drinking the water or allowing pets to drink the water......it is clear from the article the water is not toxic and that you can have contact with the water and even enjoy swimming, jetskiing, wake boarding etc.....truth is.....it's really nothing to get worked up about. Pyramid is fine.
    Last edited by FREEDOM-FLYFISHER; 09-25-2021 at 01:40 PM.

Cyanotoxins undoubtedly can, and do, kill dogs. it has happened out here on the russian river in recent years. In fact, It sounds like the family found dead this summer in the sierras may have died this way, article is below.
    https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...ncisco-family/

Ive only been fishing pyramid for about 7 years but this is the first ive heard of it being a problem there. Is it pretty common during the opening? I usually wait until mid nov to make it out there. It was really bad on the klamath last fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post
    Cyanotoxins undoubtedly can, and do, kill dogs. it has happened out here on the russian river in recent years. In fact, It sounds like the family found dead this summer in the sierras may have died this way, article is below.
    https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...ncisco-family/

Ive only been fishing pyramid for about 7 years but this is the first ive heard of it being a problem there. Is it pretty common during the opening? I usually wait until mid nov to make it out there. It was really bad on the klamath last fall.
    In answer to your question. No it is not common during the opening week October. It is an annual summer occurrence that peaks late summer august into september and disperses and quickly fades away by the opener as cooler fall temperatures kick in and kill off the algae. Temperatures are forecast for the coming week to be in the low 70's for highs and high 30's for lows. Summer is over...bye bye blue green algae bloom.
    Here's a good picture 2020. https://mynews4.com/news/local/pyram...y-out-of-water The wind currents clean up the west side of the lake and blow it to the east side as you can clearly see in the photo. Avoid the east side of the lake if you're going jetskiing swimming this week. Westside currently should be just fine. No beaches are closed. Swimming is not prohibited. It's not much of an annual bloom this year. Last year it was pretty intense and the lake was closed last summer. https://www.kolotv.com/2020/07/24/py...c-algae-bloom/

DO you have a dog as your concern? As I stated....in another 2 weeks with dropping fall temperatures kicking into gear this week it should all be gone if not sooner. I have never heard of it as an issue during the opener. There is a phone/email in the link if you are worried about your dog. Every fall opener there are plenty of dogs running around and undoubtedly drink the water. I've never heard of any issue.

I fish a very shallow productive lake wild trout fishery. Every summer it gets a major intense blue/green algae bloom (potentially toxic, potentially "harmful") that puts a thick pudding skin of algae all over the surface. There are permanent fixed signs all around the lake at every boat ramp and in the camp grounds warning of illness and to keep dogs out of the water, the dangers of toxic algae etc. While flyfishing the heat of summer I swim in the lake afternoons after the fishing is over and all day long while fishing I wet a small towel all day long with lake water and put that around my neck and pour lake water all over myself to try and keep cool. I have never gotten sick all these years but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Would I swim in the above Pyramid Lake (pic) east shore algae bloom? No, I would not, but I would swim on the west shore where the wind/currents has cleaned the water of algae. IF any lake actually becomes toxic and potentially harmful.....the powers that be, will close the lake to use...so until then....no need to worry.
    GOOD LUCK! GOOD FISHING!
    Last edited by FREEDOM-FLYFISHER; 09-25-2021 at 01:44 PM.