Thread: National Forest Reopening???

Default National Forest Reopening???

Does anyone have any intel on the reopening of the NF's? I understand that Sept 18 is the "supposed" target date for opening according the NF website, and I haven't read nor heard anything about a closure extension. Yet I'm kinda skeptical when it comes to these things. I don't want to drive all the way to Orleans only to find out I can't camp or fish. Of course no one answers the phone at Six Rivers NF......

Thanks.

~Jeff

I have no inside information. The closure was initially through September 17th, and could be extended. Remember last season ...

Personally I would not bet on the closures being lifted until it cools down, and we get some rain and snow.

By the way, the lightning storms last week ignited a couple fires in Sequoia National Park -

https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

I agree that there's a good chance it doesn't reopen. Doesn't seem like anything has changed as far as fire danger and resources on existing fires.

I went down to Bridgeport/Virginia Lakes area last weekend since Humboldt-Toiyabe is the only California Forest open at all. Nice to get out, but everyone else in the world had the same idea. Also East Walker is too warm and low to fish.

Well, the Klamath is supposed to get a pretty decent dose of rain this weekend. Up to .80in over Sat/Sun. That should help with the fires up there. I really don't wanna camp in the rain, so I'll probably just hold out until the following weekend. Then we'll know for sure about the closure.

RAIN! yes please....

I have been in contact with various USFS personnel Plumas County regarding the car topper access closures at Davis Lake/Frenchman's and I have been told by a half dozen+ people that Plumas COunty/ Frenchman's/Davis will remain closed for the season. This has been their response. I asked why it would remain closed into October after the first rains and the fires are out but have not received an explanation...... A typical USFS non response/explanation.
    So we shall see how it all plays out.

Interesting news ... just saw this pop up on the 'gram -

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd953049.pdf

The USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest
    Region will end the regional closure order affecting National Forests in California at
    11:59 pm on Wednesday, Sept. 15, two days prior to the original end date of Sept. 17.
    However, forest-wide closures will remain in place and be extended until midnight on
    September 22nd on the Los Padres, Angeles, San Bernardino, and Cleveland National
    Forests in Southern California due to local weather and fire factors, as well as a
    temporary strain on firefighting resources supporting large fires in other areas of the
    state.

In addition to the four National Forests that will remain closed in Southern California,
    some National Forest System lands throughout the state will be closed under local
    closure orders in areas of ongoing wildfires to ensure public safety. This includes the
    Eldorado National Forest in Northern California, which has a forest closure order until
    Sept. 30. Fire restrictions also remain in place across all National Forests in California
    to prevent new fire starts. Please refer to the local National Forest that you plan to visit
    to obtain specific information on closures and restrictions.