Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fall river is a real treasure that everyone needs to experience.

Wish I was there, sounds like a blast.

The 1970s was the "boom" of the fly fishing industry / world.

Andy Puyans and Dave Inks were major influences on everything with their fly shop, Creative Sports in Pacheco then Walnut Creek..

Randal and Lance Kauffmann had a big part of thing in Oregon and Washington with their Steamborn Fly Shops.

Then Bob Marriot cam on the scene in southern California with his huge shop and huge inventory.

Here is a link to another time we talked about the old days:

https://www.billkiene.com/forums/sho...-Nor-Cal-1970s
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bkane View Post
    The golden age of fly fishing in California has passed. Enjoy what’s left now.
    I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, "what's left" is being mismanaged, in many cases. Keeping Fall River and Hat Creek open year-round to fishing is downright irresponsible, in my opinion. The other issue that I have with Fall River is the ever-increasing number of gas-powered boats on the river. I understand why that is. Those who launch from private property have the right to use gas motors, and that includes guides, many of whom are now launching from private property.

Increased traffic and the plethora of gas-powered boats have diminished the overall experience of fishing Fall River for me. But that's just me. Others may feel differently.

I think everyone would agree, however, that Fall River is a "real treasure" as Bill says. I just hope it stays that way.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Leonard Skynard, ZZ Top, Stones.
    That will do!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bkane View Post
    The golden age of fly fishing in California has passed. Enjoy what’s left now.
    Very true; however, people coming into the sport will have to establish their own baseline. When I read a post where someone is stoked on the Truckee today and compare it with experiences 20-40 years old I can only shake my head. BUT, that this fisherman is stoked is the ONLY thing that counts. Fly fishing is so much fun, that comparative baselines don't really matter. Feel the stoke and have fun with it!

Well said Ralph, great perspective.

Also when fishing becomes easy it becomes boring...it's great to have some red letter days and big fish but it's all relative.

My brother and I were fortunate to fish Fall River in the 70's. One day we experienced the most prolific hatch we had ever seen. We were heading downstream from Rick's lodge and turned right into Indian Hole. Indian Hole is a large, pond-like slough off of the main river. When we entered the slough, we could see that the fish were in a feeding frenzy. There looked to be large expanses of light-colored "debris" floating on the water but upon closer inspection, the "debris" was made up of huge numbers of pmd's packed together. There were literally large "islands" of pmd's. What's interesting is that the fish didn't feed randomly. Instead, they fed in "waves" similar to what happens in a fish hatchery when they toss food pellets into the water. These "waves" would move all around us and when they got close enough to us we could catch fish. Perhaps Fall River regulars have seen the prolific hatches like the one we experienced but even to this day I've never seen anything like it.

Quote Originally Posted by HSano View Post
    My brother and I were fortunate to fish Fall River in the 70's. One day we experienced the most prolific hatch we had ever seen. We were heading downstream from Rick's lodge and turned right into Indian Hole. Indian Hole is a large, pond-like slough off of the main river. When we entered the slough, we could see that the fish were in a feeding frenzy. There looked to be large expanses of light-colored "debris" floating on the water but upon closer inspection, the "debris" was made up of huge numbers of pmd's packed together. There were literally large "islands" of pmd's. What's interesting is that the fish didn't feed randomly. Instead, they fed in "waves" similar to what happens in a fish hatchery when they toss food pellets into the water. These "waves" would move all around us and when they got close enough to us we could catch fish. Perhaps Fall River regulars have seen the prolific hatches like the one we experienced but even to this day I've never seen anything like it.

awesome story
    Last year on silver creek in Idaho I witnessed best baetis hatch I've ever seen, all the fish podded up and for 30 min their rising created a riffle in the flat water. Landed 17 that day, was incredible.