Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Los Angeles Bass Fishing Report

Default SoCal Bass....

Charlie, your post brought back great memories of growing up in SoCal. If you haven't heard of it yet, check out the "Calico Syndicate" for some great videos of Calico fishing on flies and fly tying. Google it.

Unfortunately, there are several places to fish Bass in the Socal area but many are restricted to conventional gear. The larger reservoirs and SWP canals are well known and those can be fished with fly gear. Among the lesser known fresh waters are Whittier Narrows (where I caught my first Largemouth on the fly), Sherwood Lake in Van Nuys (or was it Thousand Oaks??) and several private/public ponds and rivers in surrounding counties. Off of I-5 is Castaic Lake. The forebay is where all the Bass caught in tournaments are released and its open to fly fishing. As always, it pays to pick up a map and look for bodies of water to explore....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I rode my bike past Otay Lakes near San Diego once. That lake almost had the world record largemouth but they found a lead diving weight in the fish’s stomach or at least that is how I remember the story. I was biking to the border town of Tecate. I stopped at the store there and they would not let me have any water because they wanted me to buy it. I did not have any money so the ride back was a thirsty one. If there is any justice in this world that woman suffered some serious bad karma for denying me that water.

Default Water???

WOW!! Hard crowd down there. Seems like they could've been a bit more understanding. Funny story about the weighted Bass, tho.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I looked up the bass story and it happened at Miramar Lake in SD in 1988. The bass weighed 21-10 and the diving weight was 2-8. It apparently had been in there awhile and the angler probably did not put it there. The taxidermist found it.

Default Weight???

Wait!! How do you suppose a live Bass swallowed a 2+ pound lead weight?? Maybe it wanted to dive deeper....

Author unknown

A Tournament fish that was released after a weigh-in during a time when officials were not keen to the 'creative' tactics of tournament anglers. After all, it was 1988 or earlier.

2# Carolina rig?

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    A Tournament fish that was released after a weigh-in during a time when officials were not keen to the 'creative' tactics of tournament anglers. After all, it was 1988 or earlier.

2# Carolina rig?

And we think casting a lead core is tough..

John,
    For years, Miramar had quite a reputation for big bass. The lake's spot for planting trout was/is right next to
    the boat docks and it was pretty well thought that the bass would lurk under the docks waiting for the plantings.
    Here's a link to more Miramar hi-jinks:
    https://sdfish.com/freshwater/the-zimmerlee-bass/

Best,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Hilarious. A lot going on down there in the San Diego fishing scene. If I happen to catch the world record bass I am going to throw it back. I think the scrutiny that would come with it would wreck my life.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    Hilarious. A lot going on down there in the San Diego fishing scene. If I happen to catch the world record bass I am going to throw it back. I think the scrutiny that would come with it would wreck my life.
    Make sure you give it a kiss first...