Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tiemco hooks

Like I tell all my clients who go on my trips. You spends $$$$ of dollars for a trip of a life time and you skimp on the cheapest hook. That's the least expensive part of your trip. Why take a chance of losing that fish of a life time. On the other side of the coin, I did lose a big bone fish in Aitutaki a few years ago. Had almost to hand, then he took one last surge and straightened out the hook. It was Gamakatsu SL 45. The only hook I've had straightened out in my years I've been fly fishing (50 years)
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

I decided to commit to high end hooks -- why go through all the work to have a hook bend, or have a hook rust out, or not penetrate, etc. So I use try to use Hanak for everything except when the don't have the right size or shape. Then I go to what my second tier (quality may be just as good, but for me they're my second choice): generally Tiemco, Umpqua, Firehole (which has lots of unusual hooks). Hanak's not cheap ($8.95 for 25 hooks) but I have no complaints or regrets. They have a black shiny finish and I haven't seen any rust. They are EXTREMELY sharp (I often end up bleeding while tying if I'm not careful). Hanak has mainly hooks for core euro-nymphing applications (which is how I do almost all of my fishing), and they're all barbless. The drawback is that they lack extra large and extra small hooks. Their smallest size seems to be 16.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Hooks are a subject that could be debated for days.

The old larger Mustad and Wright McGill Eagleclaw hooks were very crude and had to be sharpened.

When the barbless fishing rules came out people would pinch down the barbs on old Mustad 94840 dry fly hooks.

While pinching down the barbs many hooks failed like having the entire point fall off.

Next entered the better hooks from Japan which had small barbs, better/sharper hook points and better steel.

Over the 50 years of selling fly tying hooks we had some come in where an entire box was not tempered right and they all opened up very easily.

If you have a heavy rod and a heavy tippet you might be able to bend open hooks or break them? Something has to give......

On a large fish if you pull too hard the tippet will break, the hook will bend open or the hook with break.

With all the Japanese brands of good hooks you can find the shape that fits your needs so many brands will be used.

I like Japanese hooks with the barb pinched down. We are spoiled today......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hey Bill, remember the old Eagle Claw 254. That's one of the hooks I use to use for stripers. I still have about 300 on hand. Also the 3908C shad hook, not the sharpest things on the market but they worked. I still have a bunch of those, also
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Murakoshi View Post
    Hey Bill, remember the old Eagle Claw 254. That's one of the hooks I use to use for stripers. I still have about 300 on hand. Also the 3908C shad hook, not the sharpest things on the market but they worked. I still have a bunch of those, also
    Yes Jay, Us old timers witnessed lots of changes in the hook market.

That Eagle Claw 254 SS was used by Mike Monroe of the Fly Hutch in Sacramento for Tarpon as well.

After they stopped making the Mustad 3908C hooks we were scrambling for chrome/nickel Shad hooks.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

FWIW I use Gamakatsu SL-11-3H for most all of my Bonefish hooks and only use the SL-45's in #6 with (some #8's) exclusively for the George Bush pattern.If you want a stronger hook than the SL11-3H try the Ahrex SA220 Streamer hook in #6 and #8 as they are a similar size to the Gamas but with heavier wire.