Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lithium Battery

Quote Originally Posted by ricards View Post
    I was looking into purchasing a Minnkota saltwater trolling motor for a small RIB. I read somewhere on their site that because of the higher voltage of lithium batteries, they do not recommend running their motors above 85% power. Minnkota might have backed off on that. Apparently, you have had no issues. I ultimately did not buy the RIB and have not made the switch to lithium because of the expense. The Chinese still have a monopoly on the elements that go into making a lithium battery, even though many of the batteries are assembled in the US. Hence the high price tag. I contacted Battle Born Batteries in regards to my smart charger and they told me that I would need a new charger for the Lithium Iron Phosphate battery. What charger are you using?
    I use LiFePo4 chargers for the batteries. They were supplied by the seller. Regular chargers will suffice in a pinch but they will not charge the lithium battery all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric M View Post
    I’d like to run a single 24V battery, if possible, for weight and space reasons. Thinking I might need 100AH for the 80lb thrust motor just not sure if two 12V in series would have more longevity?
    100ah battery is overkill IMHO. My friend bought a 100ah 24V battery for his trolling motor and used it for 10-11 hours one day and then tested the battery when he got home and it read 65% charge left! Well I guess it's not overkill if you plan on using it multiple days with out a charge.

My 24V is an 80ah. I've never run out of power. Plus it's a lot lighter than the 100ah.

Has anybody run into problems recycling batteries when they are done? My neighbor, an electrical engineer, went with lead-acid batteries for his solar back-up after learning he could not find a recycler for lithium batteries in the area. I have not looked into it. Lithium are a lot lighter and you don't have to worry about leaks, but proper recycling at end-of-life is a consideration. What have you experienced with this?

Most of the lithium batteries I have looked at have a life of about 2,000 cycles or more. If you fish that often, I am very envious. Lithiums are a very new technology. I believe recycling will be more available as more of them hit end of life. I have not bought a lithium solely for this reason; if you use it for the batteries lifetime, it is a much more economical buy. But I'm 70 and fish maybe 20 times a year. Even if I run a battery to 20% each use, that's a 100 year period until it dies. Now if my grand kids get into fishing?

I am a big fan of the lithium batteries for this situation and others.
    I am running 2 battle born 50 ah 12 volt batteries in series so putting out 100 ah for a 24 volt Minnkota saltwater Terrova.
    The initial expense is a little high but with a 10 year warranty if you have any problems/failures before 10 years you get brand new batteries. I have had many a AGM that may last only 3-4 years at 250-300 each so it all balances out in the end.

It regards to chargers. I did buy a new Victron charger from battle born for my new set up which has blue tooth.
    It allows you to check status from your phone which makes it much easier. My original 3 bank Pro Charging Systems charger was not set up for lithium. I sent it back to them and and 2 banks are now lithium and the third bank can charge my AGM starting battery still.
    The cost is only $ 25.00 per bank to reconfigure.

If you have two 12v 50ah in series you should still only have 50ah. Which is still probably plenty to run your 24v minnkota.

QUOTE=ErikB;205003]I am a big fan of the lithium batteries for this situation and others.
    I am running 2 battle born 50 ah 12 volt batteries in series so putting out 100 ah for a 24 volt Minnkota saltwater Terrova.
    The initial expense is a little high but with a 10 year warranty if you have any problems/failures before 10 years you get brand new batteries. I have had many a AGM that may last only 3-4 years at 250-300 each so it all balances out in the end.

It regards to chargers. I did buy a new Victron charger from battle born for my new set up which has blue tooth.
    It allows you to check status from your phone which makes it much easier. My original 3 bank Pro Charging Systems charger was not set up for lithium. I sent it back to them and and 2 banks are now lithium and the third bank can charge my AGM starting battery still.
    The cost is only $ 25.00 per bank to reconfigure.[/QUOTE]

Default 100 amp batteries

Quote Originally Posted by fishnchip View Post
    If you have two 12v 50ah in series you should still only have 50ah. Which is still probably plenty to run your 24v minnkota.

I just checked. I have 2 - 100 amp hours batteries. My mistake in earlier post.

QUOTE=ErikB;205003]I am a big fan of the lithium batteries for this situation and others.

The cost is only $ 25.00 per bank to reconfigure.
    [/QUOTE]

I just checked. I have 2 - 100 amp hours batteries. My mistake in earlier post.