Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lithium Battery

Default Lithium Battery

Does anyone have experience with lithium batteries and trolling motors? Thinking of adding a Riptide Terrova 80 to a 17’ North River boat. Expensive but maybe the longevity could offset that, along with weight savings? Most use will be delta stripers and lake trolling. This is my first experience with electric trolling motors so any and all tips would be helpful.

Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) is preferred these days. Check this link for guidance from Minnkota on the use of lithium batteries for their trolling motors. There could be some warranty issues if not used properly.

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/suppo...trolling-motor
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

Going on 3rd year with LiFePO4 batteries for two 36V and one 24V MinnKotas. I have had no issues running the motor. The weight is a HUGE advantage especially with the 36V systems.
    I have cheaper Chinese batteries but if I were to buy again, I'd probably go with Battle Born or Dakota Lithium.

I think Lithium batteries might be the best bet but the initial investment is shocking.

They are lighter.

They can be depleted further than lead acid.

They have longer warranties / life spans.

Battle Born Lithium and Dakota Lithium are very popular.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by fishnchip View Post
    Going on 3rd year with LiFePO4 batteries for two 36V and one 24V MinnKotas. I have had no issues running the motor. The weight is a HUGE advantage especially with the 36V systems.
    I have cheaper Chinese batteries but if I were to buy again, I'd probably go with Battle Born or Dakota Lithium.
    I was looking into purchasing a Minnkota saltwater trolling motor for a small RIB. I read somewhere on their site that because of the higher voltage of lithium batteries, they do not recommend running their motors above 85% power. Minnkota might have backed off on that. Apparently, you have had no issues. I ultimately did not buy the RIB and have not made the switch to lithium because of the expense. The Chinese still have a monopoly on the elements that go into making a lithium battery, even though many of the batteries are assembled in the US. Hence the high price tag. I contacted Battle Born Batteries in regards to my smart charger and they told me that I would need a new charger for the Lithium Iron Phosphate battery. What charger are you using?
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

I have read a very little bit about assembling lithium batteries yourself for a fraction of the cost. Does anyone have knowledge about this?>

Default Lithium

Quote Originally Posted by McFish View Post
    I have read a very little bit about assembling lithium batteries yourself for a fraction of the cost. Does anyone have knowledge about this?>
    Check out www.diysolarforum.com

Be sure to look at Will Prowse' site on you tube, a wealth of knowledge. Specifically Fortune battery cells.

I have a Dakota 54AH for my 45 thrust minn kota . It's awesome!

DIY Solar Power with Will Prowse.

He said he makes $5,000 plus per month from his YouTube channel.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I’d like to run a single 24V battery, if possible, for weight and space reasons. Thinking I might need 100AH for the 80lb thrust motor just not sure if two 12V in series would have more longevity?