Thread: CA National Forests Closed

Default CA National Forests Closed

The US Forest Service has closed access to the national forests in California until Sept. 17.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r5/ne...d=FSEPRD949139

I suppose it's for the best at the moment. I thought it was petty and vindictive when they closed the forests a few years back during the budget squabbles but this decision has some logic to it. Since Covid the use of the nat'l forests, particularly dispersed camping, has exploded. The fire fighting resources are already stretched beyond capacity so any reasonable measure to reduce the potential for new fires may be warranted.

Let's hope that the folks that decide to defy the closure and go boondocking in next 2 weeks behave themselves and don't cause any new fires.
    “Behind mountains, more mountains.” - Haitian proverb

Found that out the hard way today. Drove up to fish Fuller Lake and the area was closed.

Quote Originally Posted by markem8 View Post
    Found that out the hard way today. Drove up to fish Fuller Lake and the area was closed.
    I wonder how that works since quite a bit of the property around the lake is private. Can they close the lake if you launch or fish from private property like PG&E's portion? Seems like it would be hard to start a fire on the lake. Not sure I agree with closing everything or think it makes sense.
    While you cannot fish fuller because of a blanket closure decision, cars will be lined all up and down the road accessing the emerald pools and the river that are not closed.
    Last edited by RSK; 08-31-2021 at 06:44 PM.

They mention the Humboldt Toiyabe is not effected since it is out of the 5th district of forests. Could be only a matter of time before they also impose temporary closure but you never know.

Yep, as of today, the HTNF is closed to overnight use in CA -

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd945899.pdf

https://www.fs.usda.gov/htnf/

They had an A-frame sign posting that the area was closed right at the start of Bowman Lake Rd. and a lighted sign on Highway 20 stating that the area was closed so anyone going past the sign to the river would also be breaking the order.

Quote Originally Posted by markem8 View Post
    They had an A-frame sign posting that the area was closed right at the start of Bowman Lake Rd. and a lighted sign on Highway 20 stating that the area was closed so anyone going past the sign to the river would also be breaking the order.
    The area that is part of the Tahoe national forest is closed. The road is listed as open and emerald pools and the river down there are not on National forest service land. I believe NID owns it and that part of 18 is also not on Forest service land.
    You would not be breaking the order since it is not forest service land and has not been closed by the state or owner as far as I know.
    Closing lakes and parks and recreational spots just pushes people out into other nearby places and does not really help as far as I am concerned. A little more ranger presence and education might help. I defiantly see the need to close areas with fire activity present already for safety.
    There are some really good apps that show all the property boundries on a gps screen now. Very helpfull to know if you are really doing something wrong.
    Last edited by RSK; 09-01-2021 at 10:38 AM.

My bad. When I see those signs I just stay out.

No bad. Im sure private land holders are also closing access or will be soon. Campground at spalding lake is also still open.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-09-01.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	17340
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-09-01 (1).png 
Views:	61 
Size:	3.61 MB 
ID:	17341
    Last edited by RSK; 09-01-2021 at 04:21 PM.

You don't want to be here in the Tahoe/Truckee/Reno/Plumas area unless you don't mind inhaling ridiculous amounts of fire smoke and destroying your lungs. we have had 1/4 mile visibility that's how bad the smoke has been. Cleared up a little the other day first time seeing sporadic blue sky in a month plus. you can't even go outside it has been that bad. wind blows one direction we get Dixie fire smoke....wind blows another direction we get caldor fire smoke.