Thread: fishing in Kona

Default fishing in Kona

Took Chris App out for a couple of days in Kona. He got this 200lb blue marlin with Russ Nitta on tuesday.

Then we hit A-bay today and he got a small papio. Larger ones were whacking the halalu.

We had a school of pualu, yellow finned surgeon fish in front of us. He lost three but got this one in.

It was a good fight. He told me he was a steelhead fisherman and could get it in. We saw a nice bone, but it took off after it got lined twice. Nice weather and lots of fish. Saw Ferrous tortoise on the beach and his daughter got a nice papio on spin gear.
    Don Memmer

Interesting about the Surgeon fish Don,as in my experience they won't take a Fly.A mate managed one out of a school down the Korean Wreck end of Kirtimati a few years back, but to this day I view that as good fortune on the part of the angler and stupidity on the part of the fish

Geez I miss Hawaii, especially the Kona area.

I used to fish the A-Bay area often but only caught a few small barracuda. They even had signs telling people to be aware of barracuda. Only saw one large one once while snorkeling at Kahaluu' Beach next to the Little Blue Church.

Ya, gotta get back, Aloha,
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180