Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heenan Lake 2021 Regulation Changes

Default Heenan Lake 2021 Regulation Changes

So, with all of the fires burning and horrible smoke around California and Nevada I've been pretty much home bound for over a month.

Boy, do I need a fish fix .........................

Tonight I was doing a little google searching and dreaming about Heenan Lake.
    I missed out on fishing Heenan last year, for many reasons, and I made myself a promise that I wouldn't let that happen again this year.

Anyhow.................. I just read the 2021–2022 California Freshwater Sport Fishing Regulations (Effective March 1, 2021 through February 28, 2022) and found a couple of significant changes regarding Heenan Lake.

First .......................... Heenan will be open 7 days a week ........ no more Friday, Saturday, Sundays only !!!

Second.................... The "open to fishing season" has been extended from Sep. 1 through Nov. 30.
    That's an extra month to fish the lake.

For me it's a big win !!!!

Maybe the extra days and month will thin out the "Bowl of Cheerio's" commonly referred to on opening day.

Just thought I'd share a little "good news" amongst all the doom and gloom out there right now.

Dang Cutthroats ......................................

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    S

Just thought I'd share a little "good news" amongst all the doom and gloom out there right now.
    Not sure that I agree this is good news for the fishery. Overall the 2021 regs are a bit of a debacle for some of our trout fisheries.

Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    So, with all of the fires burning and horrible smoke around California and Nevada I've been pretty much home bound for over a month.

Boy, do I need a fish fix .........................

Tonight I was doing a little google searching and dreaming about Heenan Lake.
    I missed out on fishing Heenan last year, for many reasons, and I made myself a promise that I wouldn't let that happen again this year.

Anyhow.................. I just read the 2021–2022 California Freshwater Sport Fishing Regulations (Effective March 1, 2021 through February 28, 2022) and found a couple of significant changes regarding Heenan Lake.

First .......................... Heenan will be open 7 days a week ........ no more Friday, Saturday, Sundays only !!!

Second.................... The "open to fishing season" has been extended from Sep. 1 through Nov. 30.
    That's an extra month to fish the lake.

For me it's a big win !!!!

Maybe the extra days and month will thin out the "Bowl of Cheerio's" commonly referred to on opening day.

Dang Cutthroats ......................................

Bob
    The herd on weekends will be spread out and more comfortable for all. The extended month will be worth watching and later analyzed. Once The November weather hits at that altitude I don’t think many will want to endure the cold. Besides Pyramid will be hitting its best month of fishing. Hmmm Heenan five pounders or Pyramid 20 plus pounders

Looks like Heenan is part of a national forest that is closed till after Labor Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnphoto View Post
    Looks like Heenan is part of a national forest that is closed till after Labor Day.
    Don't think so. It's a State area and also surrounded by Humboldt-Toiyabe which is not on the closure list.

Woodman-- You may want to check with the Humboldt-Toiyabe. It looks to me that at least the Carson District is closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    Woodman-- You may want to check with the Humboldt-Toiyabe. It looks to me that at least the Carson District is closed.
    Only portions of Carson RD and at any rate the highway through the forest isn't closed and FS can't close a state area.

I’ll call the district office tomorrow and get the official word and let you all know definitively.

They called back and replied the plan for now is to open Heenan on the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnphoto View Post
    They called back and replied the plan for now is to open Heenan on the first.
    Thank you Bill for doing the leg-work on this.

Looks like I may have a chance to fish SOMEWHERE real soon.

Dang Cutthroats.........................

Bob