Thread: OMG another big fire.......the Caldor Fire

Default OMG another big fire.......the Caldor Fire

Over the last few days another large fire broke out near Highway 50. Now my understanding is it destroyed the town of Grizzly Flats and is headed north towards Pollock Pines/Spring Valley. This is turning out to be another terrible fire season, so much damage. Prayers out to all who live in these places.

It is terrible and the fire season is long from over. I have lived here since 1969 and it was not like this until about 2015. Now you can just about count on breathing smoke for about three months a year. You would think this would be the wake up call we need to take serious action on addressing human caused climate change.

While driving near L. Don Pedro, 2 months ago, I tuned the radio to a local station. The subject concerning a convicted pyro and his effect on a community. If my memory is true to me, here it is, He was released form prison for serving 7 yrs of a 21 yr sentence. He had been found guilty of starting at least 30 fires in N. Cal. This kind of stuff makes me wonder what qualifications are required to get on the release board at the prisons.

Default Arson??

Speaking of arsonists, an alleged serial arsonist was recently arrested for allegedly setting several fires around the Dixie Fire according to an article from NPR. Check it out:

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/11/10267...nia-dixie-fire
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Then there was the lady from Fremont found covered in ash and scratches wearing only a bikini that the sheriff arrested in El Dorado county after she admitted to starting a wildfire. You can't make this stuff up too weird.

https://www.kron4.com/wildfires/frem...re-near-tahoe/

I read a report lately that around 85-90% of wildfires are started by humans.

And then there was the most notorious serial arsonist of them all, John Leonard Orr, who was a fire captain and arson investigator.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Leonard_Orr
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

Default Arsonist....

ricards,.... Thanks for the link. It made for interesting reading. I lived in the L.A. area and was 25 when the 1965 Watts riots occurred. Talk about arson.... Businesses/buildings along the better parts of main streets were either burned to the ground or were unstable shells (looking like buildings bombed in WWII).

After the lives lost and damage Orr caused (estimated 2000 fires), he got what he deserved.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Always happy to share, Darian.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir