Thread: lanyard/tether for forceps?

Default lanyard/tether for forceps?

What are you guys and gals using?

I've always used the retractable "zinger" type, but they eventually fail , like mine did yesterday.

So I'm ready to try a new system.

Thanks,

Pete

I clip the jaws of the forceps to my wader strap or the shoulder strap on my sling bag. It is important to avoid attaching to a spot where your left hand will make contact with it on 2 handed cast. Haven't lost one yet.
    Last edited by TahoeJoe; 08-17-2021 at 08:50 AM.

I switched over to gear keeper retractors a few years back and have been happy w it.

Right now I wear around my neck but I’ve been meaning to get a Nature Boy Paracoil

Default Retractor

I have been using the coil type Simms Retractor
    like these:
    https://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/ge...es/retractor-1

They are kinda big but they seem to last a good long time.
    I think I have had mine for something like 5 years now and they are
    holding up well.
    I have three on my vest:
    forceps
    small pliers
    nippers

On the other hand, there are a number of reviews of these on the Simms site that says they break easily
    where the pin attaches to the plastic housing.
    IDK
    Maybe Simms changed them at some point (made them cheaper?)

Note that I do not use them with my forceps hanging free.
    I carry my forceps inside a pocket of my vest with the retractor pinned also inside the pocket
    so the retractor is not supporting the forceps, maybe that has made a difference on how long they last.

I need my forceps out on the flats and have never trusted retractors.I use a either a coiled strap linked to my belt loop and then in the side pocket of my trousers, or hang them around my neck on a lanyard.Never clip them to your front shirt pocket by locking the jaws..
    Ask me how I know

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I went with the Natureboy Paracoil 4".

No more mechanical, failure prone retractors for me.

It's a little bulkier than a zinger retractor, but with a little imagination you can keep things streamlined and in ship shape.

I was curious about the Natureboy design, and looked at his website. Just received a pair of them, a 4" and 8" in the mail. Looks good and durable. Will probably use the 4" model for nippers or forceps, and the 8" should be good for my net. Quick shipping from the east SF Bay.

my girlfriend also has a fishpond 360 swivel retractor for her nippers...very durable, the pin design is solid/will not fall off, the issue is that with a heavy item on it (she uses a Loon "Nip n' Sip" nippers) the bungee stretches quite a bit on its own. so she clips the nipper to the retractor then drops the nipper in an adjacent small pack pocket. This works, but adds a bit of effort for every time the nipper needs to be used. Fortunately for her, I do most of her rigging for her when we are fishing together, so it's not much of an issue.