Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered a new 15' skiff for smaller waters in Florida.

Default Just ordered a new 15' skiff for smaller waters in Florida.

My new fiberglass "Native Culture 15" is a locally built, simple, light weight skiff that is 15' long and 60" wide at the water line.

It is a foot longer and 10" wider than my old skiff I got from Cortland Rep Joe Patterson.

I am using my tiller Yamaha 40hp 4 stroke off my old boat because you can not find a new motor right now.

Right where the ice chest and grab bar that are in these photos will be replaced with a pedestal seat.

I will have a new Minn Kota 12v 55# iPilot bow mounted electric motor. ($1,500)

Then I will have a Garmin 7" GPS/Finder with side scan for navigation and looking under the surface. ($1,000)

I think it will be finished in about 6 weeks.

I bought it at Liquid Planet Marine in Melbourne, FL, about 30 minutes north of me.

Mike is sales and Eric, marine mechanic, both helped my design my layout as each boat is built to order.

https://liquidplanetmarine.com/inven...2935-11086742i

My new FL fishing partner, Steve Potter from Tracy, CA, now lives about 30 min south of me in Vero Beach, FL.

He has ordered a new "Hewes Redfisher 18" that is 18'10" long and 95" wide with a Yamaha 115hp.

https://www.hewes.com/2022-redfisher-18/

Steve will have the larger skiff for medium to larger waters and I will have the small skiff for lots of smaller water that is back in the

mangroves.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Sounds like you got it nailed down there Bill! Good luck to you!

Bill you ever going to open up a sign up sheet??

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    My new "Native Culture 15" is a locally built simple light weight skiff that is 15' long and 60" wide at the water line.

It is a foot longer and 10" wider than my old skiff I got from Cortland Rep Joe Patterson.

I am using my tiller Yamaha 40hp 4 stroke off my old boat because you can not find a new motor right now.

Right where the ice chest and grab bar that are in these photos will be replaced with a pedestal seat.

I will have a new Minn Kota 12v 55# iPilot bow mounted electric motor.

Then I will have a Garmin 7" GPS/Finder for navigation and looking under the surface.

I think it will be finished in about 6 weeks.

I bought it at Liquid Planet Marine in Melbourne, FL, about 30 minutes north of me.

Mike is sales and Eric, marine mechanic, both helped my design my layout as each boat is built to order.

https://liquidplanetmarine.com/inven...2935-11086742i

My new FL fishing partner, Steve Potter from Tracy, CA, now lives about 30 min south of me in Vero Beach, FL.

He has ordered a new "Hewes Redfisher 18" that is 18'10" long and 95" wide with a Yamaha 115hp.

https://www.hewes.com/2022-redfisher-18/

Steve will have the larger skill for medium to larger waters and I will have the small skiff for lots of smaller water that is back in the

mangroves.
    Some serious planning went into your purchases. Enjoy the trips and each other’s company!!!

Great looking choice Bill! Best of luck with it! May it help you to catch lots of fish...
    Last edited by guido; 08-29-2021 at 11:50 AM.

Andy Guibord told me he likes wider boats now for fly fishing because they are more stable.

It took me a while to find a 15-16' skiff that was 60" wide at the rear bottom or waterline.

I always talk about the old "14' x 48" all welded 0.100" aluminum Jon boats being good.

Don't be fooled by looking at the beam for width because the 14' x 48" is measured at the bottom rear.

The beam is the top/gunnel/beam width which is 70" on these little boats so don't look at the beam for comparisons.

From the bottom or waterline measurement to the top or gunnel or beam is called flare.

If you are looking at getting anything from a pram to a 17' skiff you can discuss it with me or Andy for a little help.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Skiff companies as backed up as drift boat companies are right now?

6-8 weeks for mine.

Boats, motors, trailers..........everything is hard to get now.

No matter what you need in the future, get it ordered now.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    6-8 weeks for mine.

Boats, motors, trailers..........everything is hard to get now.

No matter what you need in the future, get it ordered now.

Ordered a Drift boat last October for April delivery and finally got it this month, Weird times for sure.

Bill that looks like a great configuration. I have never understood how anyone can move at any speed with a tiller without a sissy bar of some sort, and yours finally has a good one. Enough below the gunwales aft of the casting deck to withstand some chop with something to grab--and yes on the 60"--and good on the builders for stretching that dimension for comfort and safety. List isn't bad at all comparatively, can't wait for the first trip report!