Thread: My New Fishing Philosophy

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default My New Fishing Philosophy

I have been watching this kayak bass guy on YouTube that fishes Northern California and some other places and fishes the Delta regularly. He fishes gear and is pretty good at it and I have learned a lot about his approach and what can realistically be expected from a day of fishing. I think the most important thing I have found though is if you want to catch some bass you have to work at. He fishes hard and keeps casting even when he has not had a bite for four hours. He battles and does not quit. So this is my new philosophy - fishing is a struggle. You have to work at it. You can not just show up as the bite is getting going, catch a couple five pounders and head home without even breaking a sweat. It does not work like that. You have to fish smart and fish hard and if the bite is not on keep at it, don't lose confidence and hope it happens. If you want fun go to Disneyland. If you want to struggle go fishing!

Armed with my new philosophy I went out today and struggled in the wind for several hours and caught one nice bass and was damn happy to get it. It was on topwater but he intercepted it underwater as it was diving. It was a cool eat as they say. I did also catch 5 bass around 12 inches, several dinkers and a few stripers at a cut that had good tide movement. I am too old to work that hard two days in a row so no fishing for me until next week.

I am also thinking I need to name my top water bug. It is either going to be Oh Son! or Fence Panda. I am leaning toward Fence Panda.

Today's fish. 18" and about 3.5 pounds.

Last edited by John H; 08-13-2021 at 04:52 PM.