Thread: My New Fishing Philosophy

Default My New Fishing Philosophy

I have been watching this kayak bass guy on YouTube that fishes Northern California and some other places and fishes the Delta regularly. He fishes gear and is pretty good at it and I have learned a lot about his approach and what can realistically be expected from a day of fishing. I think the most important thing I have found though is if you want to catch some bass you have to work at. He fishes hard and keeps casting even when he has not had a bite for four hours. He battles and does not quit. So this is my new philosophy - fishing is a struggle. You have to work at it. You can not just show up as the bite is getting going, catch a couple five pounders and head home without even breaking a sweat. It does not work like that. You have to fish smart and fish hard and if the bite is not on keep at it, don't lose confidence and hope it happens. If you want fun go to Disneyland. If you want to struggle go fishing!

Armed with my new philosophy I went out today and struggled in the wind for several hours and caught one nice bass and was damn happy to get it. It was on topwater but he intercepted it underwater as it was diving. It was a cool eat as they say. I did also catch 5 bass around 12 inches, several dinkers and a few stripers at a cut that had good tide movement. I am too old to work that hard two days in a row so no fishing for me until next week.

I am also thinking I need to name my top water bug. It is either going to be Oh Son! or Fence Panda. I am leaning toward Fence Panda.

Today's fish. 18" and about 3.5 pounds.

Last edited by John H; 08-13-2021 at 04:52 PM.

What is the kayaker's YouTube video channel name?

Many years ago when my fly shop was small and I was there alone much of the time I would tell newbies that you have to fly fish a lot at

the beginning to get lucky and also learn anything. I would tell them that if you go out 6 times you will probably run into some activity.

I also said to stop golfing and conventional fishing for a year......just go fly fishing if you want to get going faster.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

When I started fly fishing I transitioned from 100% gear to 100% flies in about three years. I remember once in that transition period getting frustrated with the flies on the Truckee and going back to my car for a gear rod and catching an 18” brown.

Greg Blanchard is the guy. I know you watch some YouTube.

When I was "transitioning" I had to resort to the old "nightcrawlers" a few times.

I watch all kinds of YouTube videos but I am retired.

When I opened the first real fly fishing only shop in Sacramento, The Fly Hutch in 1975, I gave up hot rodding, motorcycles, hunting and

conventional fishing. I knew if I was going to have a real fly fishing shop that I had to do a lot of fly fishing.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........