Thread: New Caddis Pattern

Default New Caddis Pattern

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210730_223155.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	17264

Here's a Caddis emerger pattern that I came up with... my thoughts were that I'd greese the elk hair and let the rest of the fly ride low... would any of you fish it, and would any of the more experienced tiers on here be willing to give your input? Thanks!

NK

Nate, I tie a lot but I'm all self-taught and not really an "expert" but I do have some questions. First, a comment, it does look like it could work, but I could say that about so many of my own experimental patterns. The only way to know for sure is to try it out, especially when you know another pattern is working.

Is that Elk Hair, CDC and a tail of Antron? What is the body and ribbing made of? And is that a glass bead on the head? It would be nice to see the pattern details.

If you want it to float in the film, any kind of bead could be problematic due to added weight. For dubbing I'd use dry fly dubbing, something like Hareline's Super Fine. The CDC and tail of Antron will help somewhat with flotation (and obviously the Elk Hair). Every thign should be a light / water-resistant as possible.

How do you plan to fish it? If you're sight-fishing, then having it sit under the film will require a lot of concentration (but easier in calm/flat water). If you're swinging it that's another matter, you just need to feel it and the flotation properties will ensure it rides closer to the surface. Or you could start with a dead drift in the film and then let it become a swinging caddis at the end of your cast which can be deadly during a hatch.
    Last edited by Troutsource; 08-31-2021 at 04:07 PM.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Quote Originally Posted by Troutsource View Post
    Nate, I tie a lot but I'm all self-taught and not really an "expert" but I do have some questions. First, a comment, it does look like it could work, but I could say that about so many of my own experimental patterns. The only way to know for sure is to try it out, especially when you know another pattern is working.

Is that Elk Hair, CDC and a tail of Antron? What is the body and ribbing made of? And is that a glass bead on the head? It would be nice to see the pattern details.

If you want it to float in the film, any kind of bead could be problematic due to added weight. For dubbing I'd use dry fly dubbing, something like Hareline's Super Fine. The CDC and tail of Antron will help somewhat with flotation (and obviously the Elk Hair). Every thign should be a light / water-resistant as possible.

How do you plan to fish it? If you're sight-fishing, then having it sit under the film will require a lot of concentration (but easier in calm/flat water). If you're swinging it that's another matter, you just need to feel it and the flotation properties will ensure it rides closer to the surface. Or you could start with a dead drift in the film and then let it become a swinging caddis at the end of your cast which can be deadly during a hatch.
    TroutSource, thanks for the response. It's elk hair, CDC, antron, the ribbing is thread, and the I was going to use superfine except that I was out of the color I wanted. Its actually a drop of superglue, not a bead. I was planning on drifting it to trout that I would find close and visibly rising, but swinging it otherwise. Hopefully next time I'm out on the Yuba I can get a first try of it. Thanks!

NK

Quote Originally Posted by Natekursow View Post
    TroutSource, thanks for the response. It's elk hair, CDC, antron, the ribbing is thread, and the I was going to use superfine except that I was out of the color I wanted. Its actually a drop of superglue, not a bead. I was planning on drifting it to trout that I would find close and visibly rising, but swinging it otherwise. Hopefully next time I'm out on the Yuba I can get a first try of it. Thanks!

NK
    not sure how well it will float, body looks thick and wing sparse, but it could be an interesting one to try swung as you say, or as a dropper behind a more buoyant dry. never know until you fish it. if you grease that wing real well it will probably float decent in flatter water and could be quite productive.

it reminds me of a missing link caddis, but the body on those is much sparser. they work well on finicky fish in flatter water...

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    not sure how well it will float, body looks thick and wing sparse, but it could be an interesting one to try swung as you say, or as a dropper behind a more buoyant dry. never know until you fish it. if you grease that wing real well it will probably float decent in flatter water and could be quite productive.

it reminds me of a missing link caddis, but the body on those is much sparser. they work well on finicky fish in flatter water...
    Thanks for the response... like you say, no way to know until I try it!

NK

As my eyes get worse, I have a hard time getting tippet through the eye when it's that crowded with deer hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    As my eyes get worse, I have a hard time getting tippet through the eye when it's that crowded with deer hair.
    Yeah, I tied this one a little bit close to the head even for me!

NK