Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Future state of Feather River this fall?

Robinson Riffle, aka office, aka fisherman's gate is averaging 52 to 55° constantly, palm Riffle is upper 60s to upper 63° constantly as well as gridley in the low 66s to low 70s.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Clemens View Post
    Robinson Riffle, aka office, aka fisherman's gate is averaging 52 to 55° constantly, palm Riffle is upper 60s to upper 63° constantly as well as gridley in the low 66s to low 70s.
    Thanks Brian is there a site where you are getting this info or was this a personal observation on the water?

Its actually both, I keep a mechanical lazer temp gun on the boat with me and also I get temps from CDEC. Dreamflows has temps for some rivers as well.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Some good news. The river is currently being fed by what's called the River Valve Outlet System (RVOS). The RVOS was cast into place in Div 2, one of the two 37' ID diversion tunnels that were installed to facilitate dam construction. Div 2 has an invert elevation of 225'.

What that means is the dead pool elevation of 604' that was quoted by the DWR Media office in the past critically dry years of 2014 and 2015 is wrong and the lake can be drawn down far below that elevation.

Temps shouldn't be a concern this fall either.

I don't know anything about the American but the CVP has a bit more flexibility than the SWP does (the SWP has Oroville, the CVP has several impoundments) and can use flows from Trinity and Shasta to meet demands downstream of the mouth of the American. Upstream storage from Folsom (on paper) looks a bit better than on Oroville also, and I think Nimbus has recirc chillers.

Quote Originally Posted by ycflyfisher View Post
    Some good news. The river is currently being fed by what's called the River Valve Outlet System (RVOS). The RVOS was cast into place in Div 2, one of the two 37' ID diversion tunnels that were installed to facilitate dam construction. Div 2 has an invert elevation of 225'.

What that means is the dead pool elevation of 604' that was quoted by the DWR Media office in the past critically dry years of 2014 and 2015 is wrong and the lake can be drawn down far below that elevation.

Temps shouldn't be a concern this fall either.

I don't know anything about the American but the CVP has a bit more flexibility than the SWP does (the SWP has Oroville, the CVP has several impoundments) and can use flows from Trinity and Shasta to meet demands downstream of the mouth of the American. Upstream storage from Folsom (on paper) looks a bit better than on Oroville also, and I think Nimbus has recirc chillers.
    Great news! Thanks for bringing some sunshine to all the doom and gloom that's been going around.

To all those interested I just returned from the Low-Flow Feather. Flows are perfect water is cold and the steelhead and salmon are there. Eggs and caddis were the tickets. The biggest fish was 24inch.