Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Future state of Feather River this fall?

In speaking with several local guides they are saying that salmon are already confused and are stacking up at the Thermolito outlet because there's almost no cold water coming through the Lowflow. There's more water coming out the dam Thermolito than the Low Flow. If the water in the Low Flow was COLD, the salmon would like normal go in that direction.

Normally the river right now below the hatchery and feeding the low flow would be loaded with salmon, there are non. Take a ride to Oroville and go look at the water behind the auditorium or the look-out area. You won't see salmon like usual.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Buzolich View Post
    In speaking with several local guides they are saying that salmon are already confused and are stacking up at the Thermolito outlet because there's almost no cold water coming through the Lowflow. There's more water coming out the dam Thermolito than the Low Flow. If the water in the Low Flow was COLD, the salmon would like normal go in that direction.

Normally the river right now below the hatchery and feeding the low flow would be loaded with salmon, there are non. Take a ride to Oroville and go look at the water behind the auditorium or the look-out area. You won't see salmon like usual.
    Tony

You are right Tony.

I was there on Sunday and there was no Salmon in the Low Flow.

Water Temp that I took was 60 degrees a little warm.

I didn't take the water temp below the outlet.
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Okay, so maybe target the fall run steelhead in the high flow this year and skip low flow until we get some rain?

Lance,

We've still been fishing the main river for striped bass and the temperatures have been reading 69.5 to 71.? degrees for weeks now.
    As for the dredging and the silt build-up down lower, it won't help the salmon or the striped bass come up if there's NO water coming down.

There's an old saying about "follow the money" and this poor water management is a perfect example of that. Yes, we're having a drought, but instead of saving water for people, power, and wildlife, the big money is buying up the managers and sending it to irrigate wasteland in the central valley.

San Diego County by contrast says they have more water than they need and will be good until 2045 if they have to. They have been increasing the higth of their dams, using huge desalination plants to convert sea water, and even using converted waste water from their sanitation plants. There's a really good video on YouTube about San Diego's water.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Lance,

We've still been fishing the main river for striped bass and the temperatures have been reading 69.5 to 71.? degrees for weeks now.
    As for the dredging and the silt build-up down lower, it won't help the salmon or the striped bass come up if there's NO water coming down.

There's an old saying about "follow the money" and this poor water management is a perfect example of that. Yes, we're having a drought, but instead of saving water for people, power, and wildlife, the big money is buying up the managers and sending it to irrigate wasteland in the central valley.

San Diego County by contrast says they have more water than they need and will be good until 2045 if they have to. They have been increasing the higth of their dams, using huge desalination plants to convert sea water, and even using converted waste water from their sanitation plants. There's a really good video on YouTube about San Diego's water.
    Tony
    Yes sir follow the money!!
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    By "pre '14 diverters" you mean pre-1914 or Senior water right holders?
    My mistake, that should have read post '14. While attempting to confirm some things yesterday, I was also told about this:

https://www.waterboards.ca.gov/press...regulation.pdf

I'd consider my knowledge of CA water rights and the respective history better than rudimentary, but it's not something I'm well versed in, but by my account the state telling 1000's of riparian rights holders they can no longer divert is game changing.

Tony
    You can believe that if you want to but it's just not true:

Water temps at Robinson's for the last two weeks this year:

https://cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/js...cookies=cdec01

Same period for last year:

https://cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/js...cookies=cdec01

Quote Originally Posted by fishing&beyond View Post
    Okay, so maybe target the fall run steelhead in the high flow this year and skip low flow until we get some rain?
    My advice would be to go sooner rather than later and you'll definitely find better temps higher up. I definitely would not wait until the first major storm. The trib channels in the lake that are normally under 100+ feet of water are exposed, and even with the tribs at ultra low base flow, the tribs are cutting deep channels thru insanely massive sediment bars that have formed over 53 years of deposition. When those tribs head over 1000+cfs, all those fine sediments are going to go into suspension. The period until the river returns to fishable turbidity won't be measured days, but months IMO. I wouldn't be totally shocked if the lake fairs no better than Lewiston did in the 96/97 flood event.

I'd consider also the possibility of the DFW shutting down a river that's being fed from a res approaching dead pool.

Just some more info:

The Feather Annex, the set of raceways on the west side of the Afterbay has been abandoned in place and is no longer operational, The main facility only has chillers to support incubation.

3 of the 4 penstocks at the Ron Robie plant @the forebay/afterbay dam house generator pumps that do have pump back capability.

DWR is currently conducting an emergency river eval. I expect we'll get more information upon completion.

Great conversation and I'd be curious to hear what people expect for the Lower American.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river