Thread: Monument Fire/Trinity River

Default Monument Fire/Trinity River

Was so bummed to read about the Monument Fire on the lower part of the Upper Trinity. Looks like it’s burning all over some of the best early season water. Just what we needed. Another kick in the cajones after a miserable summer of worrying about low flows. Not that there will be any rivers left next summer if we don’t get huge weather this rainy season.

Big landslide on 299 by Del Loma I heard. Had it completely shut down. 18000 acres and 0% containment as of last night. This is not good. It is such a beautiful section of the Trinity and I have spent many years fishing there. I remember so many memorable trips with friends over the years. So sad. I guess Salmon River had some blazes as well.

Fire now at 36000 acres and still 0% containment. Due to how fast its moving and the lack of personnel, life and structure protection are the priority. Smoke is so bad that they can't get any aircraft on it. AQI in Weaverville is approaching 800, one of the worst spots in the US right now.

Fire burned through Big Flat last night and destroyed several structures there. Continuing to head east towards Junction City. Evacuation warning for JC but I wouldn't be surprised to see an order soon. Fire is burning right along the river which is unfortunate because that is where most of the structures are. Westerly winds are expected to continue for the next several days too. Pray we get a wind shift to slow down the fire or push it to the north.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    ― Issac Asimov

My friend who lives in Weaverville said her brother and some others were advised to evacuate JC last night. She knew of many whose houses burned. So sad.