Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Milton Reservoir

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post

I think they stock mostly Rainbows?
    Planting records going back to the 70's indicate that Milton has never been stocked with rainbows. It has been managed as a max size limit brown trout fishery in an effort to out-compete the brown bullhead. The trout come out of Jackson Meadows and there is reproduction in the MF Yuba upstream of Milton. The water management regime favors fall spawning browns over the spring spawning rainbows. There are also two springs in the lake that are utilized by spawning brook trout, but they don't seem to last very long.

Poaching has long been the demise of Milton's fishery. In the winter it is a snowmobilers ice fishing destination. At ice out it can look like Swiss cheese. In the summer, loggers camping in the area descend on the lake with bait.
    Last edited by Ralph; 08-14-2021 at 08:02 AM.

I can't understand why enforcement has never been a priority in California. I have been fishing in California for 45 years and over that time I have been asked by a warden to see my license exactly once.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Planting records going back to the 70's indicate that Milton has never been stocked with rainbows. It has been managed as a max size limit brown trout fishery in an effort to out-compete the brown bullhead. The trout come out of Jackson Meadows and there is reproduction in the MF Yuba upstream of Milton. The water management regime favors fall spawning browns over the spring spawning rainbows. There are also two springs in the lake that are utilized by spawning brook trout, but they don't seem to last very long.Poaching has long been the demise of Milton's fishery. In the winter it is a snowmobilers ice fishing destination. At ice out it can look like Swiss cheese. In the summer, loggers camping in the area descend on the lake with bait.
    I’m think it’s not illegal to harvest fish from Milton reservoir. From all the small browns I think it wouldn’t hurt and would do good so the some of those fish grow bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    I’m think it’s not illegal to harvest fish from Milton reservoir. From all the small browns I think it wouldn’t hurt and would do good so the some of those fish grow bigger.
    It does have a two fish below 12 inches keeper limit.

You might want to check the new regulations; 7.50 (b) (97). It appears that it has changes to; Open all year with 0 trout take.

(97) Milton Lake and Middle Fork Yuba River
    between Milton Lake and Jackson Meadows
    Dam (Nevada and Sierra cos.).
    All year. Only artificial lures
    with barbless hooks may be
    used.
    0 trout

Quote Originally Posted by GLC View Post
    You might want to check the new regulations; 7.50 (b) (97). It appears that it has changes to; Open all year with 0 trout take.

(97) Milton Lake and Middle Fork Yuba River
    between Milton Lake and Jackson Meadows
    Dam (Nevada and Sierra cos.).
    All year. Only artificial lures
    with barbless hooks may be
    used.
    0 trout
    Thanks for the update. Google hasn’t updated the new regs.