Thread: Got one with out really trying

Default Got one with out really trying

Aloha was guiding A-bay yesterday and got this bone with out really trying. My client was casting a bait fish to the huge horde of trevally feeding on the halalu that are in A-bay. I rigged up two rods so he could target bones or trevally. I was just messing around catching small goat fish and papio, while he was casting and this bone showed up and took off. I don't fish when guiding as a rule, but it was fun getting him in. My client did end up hooking 4 bones, two big ones but for various reasons never got the hero shot. It was still a good day on the water and the fishing here in Hawaii has been very good both inshore and offshore. Hope you all get into the albacore bite and enjoy the end of summer. Mems.
    Don Memmer

Did your client ever get a grab on the trevally? What kind of trevally do you think they were, Bluefin or GT's?

A few years ago there was a ton of akule (adult halalu) hanging close to the pier in town and big fish were busting them all day long. One morning I got up early and headed to Honokahou Harbor in the dark and cast poppers off the north side and got broke off twice. A guy was telling me the GT's follow the akule into the harbor at dark and head back out at daybreak. I did get one small one about 10-12 lbs.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Omilu, 10-25 lbs school of 50 came right at us. I kept telling him faster faster. I had the perfect fly on a 2/0 bush pig same size as the halalu. He did get one later about 3 lbs. He lost one bone 8lbs and another 10lbs. It was fun but heartbreak for him.
    Don Memmer

Hey Don,
    That looks like a lot of fun. I bet that big ahi you got the other day kicked your butt .It made me think of the poke you made for us mmm. Good to see your enjoying retirement keep it up.
    Jim May