Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LOST my passport in Mexico-how to get home

Default LOST my passport in Mexico-how to get home

Well after I arrived in Loreto, Mexico this year I realized I lost my passport, what the hell am I going to do now? I tried calling the american consulate in La Paz and I even sent them an email-Their reply email went something like this This office is closed and if you need anything contact TJ, now I am really getting concerned, so I took a day off from fishing and went to the airport and talked to Valero airlines about getting on the plane from Loreto to TJ, they said NO, no way, after a little discussion and talking to the management they agreed that it was OK to fly from one part of Mexico to the other part of mexico with out a passport. so the next move was to figure out how to walk across the boarder after all I did have my California federal ID...so here goes after a month of fishing and with this heavy burden on my mind I bought a ticket on a flight to TJ from Loreto. After I landed and they would not let me cross the boarder at the airport, they said I would have to go to the regular boarder crossing , so I walked outside of the airport and paid $30.00 for a short taxi ride to the boarder crossing, when I looked at the line I almost passed out...it was 4-6 people wide and not sure how long, just about that time some local guy asks me if i want to get to the front of the line for $20.00 I said yes and if I don't get to the front I want my money back, he agreed so as we took off to the front of the line I suddenly noticed we were walking on a blue line (for the handicapped ) I did have my leg brace on, so right to the front of the line I went, as I got there the woman officer asked me if I was a US citizen I said yes and continued on my way for another 300-400 feet and was greeted by US customs, this gal asked if I had a passport I said no I lost it, she asked if I had ever had an passport, I answered yes, so she told me to put my chin on the camera and took my picture, after a minute, she said "have a nice day" I was never so happy in my life at that moment, however still not out of the woods I now had to pay another $60.00 for a taxi ride to the San Diego airport, buy a flight to San Francisco, then take a commuter bus for $35.00 to Santa Rosa then a $20.00 cab ride home....what a scary ordeal and adventure. so the moral of the story is don't lose your passport , and in the event you do, you can get out of the country with out one...you just can't fly out of the country on a plane.I hope somebody learns from my mistake. I had several people with computers googling information claiming you can't get out of the Mexico without a passport, yes you can, you just can't fly across the boarder without a passport, thanks for all the help from my special buddy in Loreto Gary Roller

Carl Blackledge
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 07-24-2021 at 02:31 PM.

I've always been told to make several copies of your actual passport before you go anywhere, and I do.

Glad you made back as simple as you did. Foreign countries are a different world.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Yep, I agree with Tony, I have a dozen copies of my passport just for that reason.
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

Sorry guys....a copy of a passport isn't valid...My wife has a copy of the original and was going to fax it to me...the air lines said no dice. Its what I was told.

Carl Blackledge

Carl, Well done & glad you got back. A cheap lesson. It looks like you were very smart and very lucky to navigate the bureaucrats.

Like Tony & Jay, I have copies of my key documents: passport, driver's license, insurance cards & credit cards that I store at several secured locations online, so in worst case I can display them to an official on my phone or email to them to print out a hard copy.

Plus when I am out and about I carry copy of my passport and DL. I have never had to produce the original in last 10- 15 years, copy has even been good enough for hotel check in.

Jim
    Last edited by JayDubP; 07-24-2021 at 02:50 PM.

I misplaced my passport 3 years ago and returned from Italy to UK to USA with pdf I could display on my phone. Boarding agents already had my passport info on the computer.

Jaydubp,

I am happy you made it back also. I called Alaska airlines while stuck in Mexico, They told me flat out "no pass port no flight" you can't even board the plane without one if your flying into the USA, however at a boarder crossing that's a different story...perhaps cause it's mexico, I am not sure...soon as the US customs agent took my picture and I showed her my federal ID, she let me in...seems to me that a copy of a passport could be forged pretty easy....was posting this so others could possibly be helped.

Carl Blackledge

Quote Originally Posted by JayDubP View Post
    I misplaced my passport 3 years ago and returned from Italy to UK to USA with pdf I could display on my phone. Boarding agents already had my passport info on the computer.
    Very true. Take a picture of the first two pages of your passport, store in the cloud, and you are pretty much golden . . . unless the agent want to be a prick.

Default Passports....

The last time I had my passport renewed, it was issued along with a "*PASSPORT CARD*" for the wallet. It was plastic and the size of a credit card. I've carried it at all times but never have had to use it. Wonder if it would've been honored in MX??? I always figured it was good for access to federal/state facilities, here.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Ralph, I am not sure about what you said, however in Mexico the agents seem to be all pricks...now after that being said, both the officers on the boarder leaving Mexico and returning to the USA were all smiles, however most any questions asked of the agents say
    no, perhaps they don't understand? anyway I am home

They get another shot at me this October

Carl