Thread: Loreto report 2021

Default Loreto report 2021

Posted by Carl Blackledge on 2021-07-23 12:00:06

This year turned out to be awesome for big Dorado and most of the local fish because of a unique set of circumstances that all came together this season. The pandemic probably reduced the fishing pressure to a certain extent and combined with the unprecedented amount of bait (the most I've ever seen in 22 years) we had opportunities galore with billfish, Dorado and Roosterfish. Every day were able to go out to the billfish grounds (about 30 miles) and we were slammed with billfish grabs and giant Dorado bites. There were more extra large Dorado than I have seen in the last six years, and
    I actually hooked two Dorado way over 50 pounds, and we landed two in the 42-45 pound range on cast flies.

There were lots of little striped Marlin and Sailfish that seemed to be thriving along with the Roosters and we had fewer bad weather days cutting into our fishing time. Rooster fishing is not as impacted by the wind because the honey holes are in closer to the shores. We got hundreds of smaller ones (literally) and a few in the 25-35 pound range also on cast flies. Our boat captain was outstanding and from all reports everyone was pleased with their guides and results. Most of our group re-booked for next year already.

Everyone has their own preferences for equipment but I prefer SA Clear Tip Jungle lines for Loreto fishing because to me they cast the best and the new twisted leaders work perfect and really turn over the big flies. Tibor Signature is my reel of choice and modified versions of Charlie's Airhead will appeal to just about anything you toss them at.

We always stay at the Hotel Oasis, which I think has the best rooms, food and staff you could ask for. The Oasis has all the old Mexico charm and culture, and the staff will knock themselves out to please their guests. Please feel free to email me if would like any more information about Loreto.

P.S. My prediction for next year is for lots of big Dorado because of the circumstances I mentioned at the beginning of this report.

IF YOU WANT TO SEE MORE PICTURES GO TO DAN'S BOARD

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0030 Small.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	17224   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0036 Small.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	17225   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0049 Small.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	17226   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1112 Small.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	17227  
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 07-23-2021 at 01:00 PM. Reason: picture

Loreto is one of the top destinations for tropical offshore fly fishing.

If you want to go next summer I am sure that Carl would give you some great advice.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hey Bill,

Actually we had the perfect amount of people down there this year, I/we aren't trying to recruit anybody to come down during prime time. Next year with all the bait that's is available I think we are going to be in big Dorado heaven.

Carl Blackledge

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    Hey Bill,

Actually we had the perfect amount of people down there this year, I/we aren't trying to recruit anybody to come down during prime time. Next year with all the bait that's is available I think we are going to be in big Dorado heaven.

Carl Blackledge
    Carl, I intended to call before you left but I missed the window. My wife and I are traveling to Loreto in early September for a week. I plan to fish at least one day. I've never fly fished salt water and I don't have the gear. Do any of the guides you work with have gear to loan? Would you recommend we fish with tackle instead? We're fairly handy with a 6wt on larger water, been fishing for 10+ years, but nothing as big as you reported catching. Any help would be appreciated, including the contact info for a guide or two you recommend. Also, as this is our first time in Loreto any other recommendations for food/other activities would be appreciated.

-Matthew

Sir,

Perhaps stay at the Mission across the street from the harbor, I am sure the Mission can hook you up with a guide, Also not sure whats available in Sept. Good luck. Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    Sir,

Perhaps stay at the Mission across the street from the harbor, I am sure the Mission can hook you up with a guide, Also not sure whats available in Sept. Good luck. Carl
    Thank you Carl.