Thread: One Rod for your "Go Bag"

Default One Rod for your "Go Bag"

With all of the fires recently, I've been working on a "Go Bag" of essentials that I can grab, if and when I have to evacuate. I was wondering, if I could only grab one rod, which one would it be?

I think that I'd take my Scott 966-4 Radian and a handful of lines. If I could only take one line, it would be a Scientific Anglers GPX WF 6.

What would you take?

--Joe
    Last edited by TahoeJoe; 07-23-2021 at 09:34 AM.

I made that decision, twice, due to the Sonoma fires. I keep my fly stuff organized and ready to go.

I took my dual rod/reel case I use for my Sage 7100 XP and my Sage SP 590. I grabbed my Abel "Holds Everything" bag where I keep my fly boxes...my truck was broken into once and it took years to rebuild my fly boxes. I grabbed my reel case with some old reels with personal/family memories from my grandfather. And I took a plastic tub that holds my fly tying stuff, some of it irreplaceable today. I left a bunch of rods and stuff I don't use so much.

I have a checklist of evacuation items in descending order of importance in case I have 5 min, 30 min, 60 min or more to get out. So far the fires have been close but nearby vineyards stopped the spread

All my rods and reels would go, just saying.

I’m not sure what I would grab, but I’m sure my dozen (or maybe 15) Meisers, all my Bogdans and prewar Prefects, and James Reid bamboo will vaporize in the fire without a trace. Maybe a Don Hill wood drifter as well. I’ll have to check my insurance list.

I was was thinking more along the lines of 1 rod that would fit in the bag and be ready, if all you had time to do was grab the bag and go. Sort of like the old question: What one album would you want if you were stranded on a desert island?

Given time, I'd take as many rods and reels as possible.

@hwchubb I figure my wood driftboat would amount to a pile of kindling in a fire situation too. I don't know if it's even insured for a fire. A glass boat would have the same problem. An aluminum boat might just survive.

Joe, there are those that would suggest that, except for 3 Meisers, nothing on my list exists. Just don’t tell my homeowner’s insurance…

There was a guy last year that posted photos of his aluminum drift boat after the North Umpqua fire burned over it. That didn’t hold up too well either.