Thread: wading sticks

Default wading sticks

My Simms wading staff blew out on me. Yes, I took a tumble (twice), but I fell away from the stick. The handle portion failed. Does any one know if Simms does repairs ?

Sorry I can't answer your question, but I'm over 200lbs so a stiff piece of wood is my life saver since the beginning.

Same here, over 200. I ended up getting wood one at a trinket shop, and I like it. Its very stout and has a pleasing musical sound when it bounces off of rocks.

Yes, they will replace it, no questions asked.
    I have broken my Simms staff twice and sent it in. Both times they sent a brand new one a few weeks later.
    It’s worth a few extra bucks for the great customer service- and made in the USA…

Can't speak to the repair policy of Simms.

I use this as both my hiking staff and wading staff.

http://www.neotrekk.com/index.html#bigstik

It's a carbon fiber wrapped aluminum tube with a carbide tip. I've used to drag myself up super steep slopes, it gives me a confident and steady balance on log bridges and the carbide tip really bites into slippery rocks and holds while wading. It's held up to a lot of abuse and has not bent.
    “Behind mountains, more mountains.” - Haitian proverb

There is a guy named Rick Pumphrey, posts on Speypages.com under the name Herkileez. He machines the best folding staff I’ve ever used. It looks great, is absolutely bulletproof, and costs slightly less than the Simms. I had him make mine to a custom length, and I received it 3 days after ordering. Also great to spend money, and talk with, the guy who actually makes it.

Go to Speypages and search Herkileez, and you’ll find the multi page thread that will tell you all about it, it’s worth a look. I’m 6’3, 240, and it has never wavered under me, and is a lifesaver on the North Umpqua. It’s not made in the USA though - Rick is a Canuck!

Simms said that a replacement will be sent to me. Mine is carbon fiber. I'm only partially sold on the new cutting edge materials and designs. Never have been. Excluding this purchase, I'm normally on the 10 year plan. Whether it's autos, fly gear, or anything else, I like to stick with proven models. So looking at this broken staff, the wall is very thin. I've been a backpacking fool, not so much lately (70 yrs old), and have gone through a gamut of hiking sticks. They should be built for multipurpose, sturdy enough for self defense, comfortable grip, changeable length, rock solid dependability and a comfortable weight. A friend once told me that Steve Able couldn't find a reel he liked, so he built his own. Maybe I need to follow his lead.