Thread: Weedless Topwater

Default Weedless Topwater

I fished the central Delta in the kayak today which was a new area for me. The plan was to fish the open water between the riprap and the weeds so I figured I would want a weed guard on the hook. I don't usually fish a weed guard but an old dog can learn a new trick so I did it. I caught a lot of fish but there were a lot of small ones caught and even more small ones slapping at it. Lots of action though and some decent fish so no complaints. About halfway through I snapped off my fly on a fish which never happens. I must have had some defective leader material or I may have tied a bad knot. I thought it was potentially my best fish of the day by a lot so I was not too happy about it and am still not too happy about it. After that disaster I went back to fishing without a weed guard and when I got home I had to make a new fly with a weed guard so I can go get that fish back. I know right where he is. He is probably sitting in the weeds right now thinking he got the best of me but he is in a lot of trouble and does not even know it.

Nice looking fish and fly!

Nice hair bug John.

I use to cut the mono weed guards off my commercially tied hair bugs and poppers before I fished with Captain Kevin Doran?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Y0wmSr0Tg

I never threw my bug into the "weeds" before that day with Kevin.

*Captain Kevin Doran is the best top water LMB fly fisher I ever met.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........