Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All-around rod for lower American

You have gotten sound advice already.

I would advocate for a 10' #7. It will handle shad, stripers, steelhead, LMB, Pyramid Lake, and can be cast overhand or single hand spey. It's not "too much" rod for the egg bite or streamer fishing, though it will take the fun out of it a bit on your average sized central valley RBT.

If you want to learn spey, get a 12' #6 which will work for shad, most CA steelhead fishing, and even "heavy" trout spey. It will be easier to learn to cast with than a shorter switch rod.

I wish I had learned sooner that it's more important to spend money on a diversity of lines than a diversity of rods.
    A 10' #7 with 3-4 line combinations will be a very versatile tool.

Only the high end rods will still be light and enjoyable in a 10' #7 fly rod and they only come in 4 piece now.

Today you might find a light weight 10' #7 in an imported mid-priced rod......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

My walk and wade rod for the American is a Scott S3 9'6" 7wt with a Rio Versitip. Pretty much will do anything.

What Charlie said. Or, a 10’ 7 wt. At any rate, you’ve started down the odd numbered road. After 45 years flinging flies, I’ve got 30+ rods in the rafters, at least 25 are single hand and one is a 6 wt. The rest are all various odd weights. And frankly, there is so much overlap any more, in lines as well as rods, that the fish able combinations are almost limitless, and I think most of the lines are pretty blurred. Any decent rod will cast a range of grain windows.

It took me a little while to return to this thread, but I appreciate all of the responses I've gotten here. Lots of great, seasoned advice.

The funny thing with something like this is there are opinions for both ways that I was leaning, and I think I have to do what most of you have done over the years...try stuff, learn from it and let that inform your opinions.

My current plan is to shift over to an even weight spread...4wt for trout/dries, and I'll get a 6wt for streamers and maybe bass at some point. The entry level 5wt can back those two up. Then I'll think about a 7 or 8wt (possibly spey) rod, but I'm nervous about the learning curve. Either way, I'll make some decisions and probably change my opinion at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by maninatikihut View Post
    It took me a little while to return to this thread, but I appreciate all of the responses I've gotten here. Lots of great, seasoned advice.

The funny thing with something like this is there are opinions for both ways that I was leaning, and I think I have to do what most of you have done over the years...try stuff, learn from it and let that inform your opinions.

My current plan is to shift over to an even weight spread...4wt for trout/dries, and I'll get a 6wt for streamers and maybe bass at some point. The entry level 5wt can back those two up. Then I'll think about a 7 or 8wt (possibly spey) rod, but I'm nervous about the learning curve. Either way, I'll make some decisions and probably change my opinion at some point.
    I was nervous about the learning curve too. If you want an easier inroduction to swinging and 2 handers Id suggest getting a commando head or alternative short skagit or single hand spey line. They are easy as hell to cast and will help you get the motions down. I even had my friend who has never picked up a fly rod in her life casting one pretty damn well in an hour. Get one that matches with your 4 weight and see how you like swinging for trout ( I bet all of my amherst that you will)