The problem with fly fishing for bass is you really only have two tricks to fool them with - topwater and streamers. If you can get a bobber working that is three tricks. The gear guy seems to have an unlimited number of tricks and as a result can catch fish under a lot of conditions where the fly rod does not produce. If you want them on flies you really have to pick the time and place you think you can get the flies to work. The gear guy can go out whenever he wants to and run through his endless bag of tricks until he finds what they want. It is probably not quite like that but it does seem that way to me.

I saw a guy in a kayak who told me he had gotten some on a senko worm and on a chatterbait. I don't have any chatterbait flies but I made a worm fly last year that I like but have not used much. I fished it along some riprap and got a few bass including one about four pounds. The worm fly could be my fourth trick.

I jumped a guy's battery for him as I was leaving. I think I have seen him out there before. He offered me some striper. I did not want any but guessed right that he had gotten them on live bluegill. That seems to be the bait of choice. I asked what they weighed and guessed 10 pounds. He said they were a little bigger than that but his face said they were a lot bigger. After we got his truck started he said he was heading home to drink a beer and watch the ball game. That guy knew how to get them. I think I will stick with throwing flies for the stripers but I am with him on the beer and the ballgame.