Thread: Looking for a 270 Grain Scandi

Default Looking for a 270 Grain Scandi

Im looking for a 270(ish) grain scandi head to pair with my 4 weight trout spey. Preferrably something on the shorter side.

The Rio 270 scandi short is 29ft long, if thats to long for you check out Scientific anglers spey lite scandi at 270gr its only 23ft with s nice front taper, this is what id get if you are looking for a short scandi, then add Rios 10ft scandi versileaders at 35grs as sink tips. The other option is Rio trout Spey, 3wt-265gr @ 23ft, scandi/skagit head or 4wt 305gr @ 23ft.

On my 1134acr I fish a 6/7wt 325gr 23' Rio scandi body for bugger bugs with Rio 10ft spey versileaders (70grs), then Rio trout spey 4wt 305gr 23ft for lighter stuff smaller bugs with rio 10ft scandi versileaders, lastly the 270gr Rio scandi short or 270 SA spey lite scandi for tapered leaders for grease lining and skating
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Clemens View Post
    The Rio 270 scandi short is 29ft long, if thats to long for you check out Scientific anglers spey lite scandi at 270gr its only 23ft with s nice front taper, this is what id get if you are looking for a short scandi, then add Rios 10ft scandi versileaders at 35grs as sink tips. The other option is Rio trout Spey, 3wt-265gr @ 23ft, scandi/skagit head or 4wt 305gr @ 23ft.

On my 1134acr I fish a 6/7wt 325gr 23' Rio scandi body for bugger bugs with Rio 10ft spey versileaders (70grs), then Rio trout spey 4wt 305gr 23ft for lighter stuff smaller bugs with rio 10ft scandi versileaders, lastly the 270gr Rio scandi short or 270 SA spey lite scandi for tapered leaders for grease lining and skating
    I actually have a 325 rio scandi body somewhere in my pile. I was thinking about trying out an Airflo rage for the slightly longer length and still using scandi and spey versileaders, so I could do touch and go's and not be chucking around a commando head all the time. At least on the american I have plenty of casting room unlike the spots I normally fish.

BC knows what he is talking about. You definitely want to overline that 4wt to throw the bigger stuff in the absence of a short commando-type head.

If you want to throw smaller soft hackles and sparse summer steelhead flies up to a size 6, then the 270-300 range will be good.

I use an SA 270 integrated scandi on my 11' ACR 3wt trout spey and it goes good except for bigger conehead flies then I have no choice but to go with the short heavy head or switch to my 5wt rod.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    BC knows what he is talking about. You definitely want to overline that 4wt to throw the bigger stuff in the absence of a short commando-type head.

If you want to throw smaller soft hackles and sparse summer steelhead flies up to a size 6, then the 270-300 range will be good.

I use an SA 270 integrated scandi on my 11' ACR 3wt trout spey and it goes good except for bigger conehead flies then I have no choice but to go with the short heavy head or switch to my 5wt rod.
    Yea I planned on using the Scandi just for soft hackles and traditionals for steelies once the water cools down, and my Commando heads for when i want to throw chunky leeches around.