Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing LaVantana Mexico

Default Fishing LaVantana Mexico

Hi all, just a short report. Nothing like Tony Buzolich's colorful reports.

I fished with Gary Bulla's group in LaVantana last week and had a great time. Everything went smooth as silk. Baja Joe's Hotel was nice and the food was great. Lots of Rooster fish and marlin this year, we saw few Dorado. Roosters were caught every day with some monsters weighing in at 70 lbs. 4 Marlin were caught all teased up and caught on a fly!!! I can't say enough good things about Gary's operation. First Class all the way here are a few pics from my trip. Jim May

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-07-12 19.56.54.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	4.31 MB 
ID:	17200
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-07-06 09.19.55.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	4.34 MB 
ID:	17197   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-07-06 13.35.04.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	3.77 MB 
ID:	17198   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0435.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	17199  

WOW!!! A great Marlin and Rooster on the fly. You really had a good trip.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Gary's been running the operation ever since I've known him. That area La Ventana is a fantastic place to fish. No long runs to the fishing grounds, a wide variety of species to chase and the past few years, there has been plenty of bait, big bait.

I'm heading back down on September 18 with a few clients and hope to get into some yellow fin, wahoo and the marlin. I'm trying to get a few new wiggy air heads tied up. I have added some new color wiggy air heads but because I think the fish are wise to the tan/white and olive/white wiggy air heads.

Yep those big Roosters are a lot of fun to catch and the marlin fishing can really get excited when they get teased up.
    I have thought about staying in La Ventana but a lot of my clients like the convince of going to a different restaurant every night and taking a stroll down the new revitalized malecon.

I'm sure you fished with all the captains, Efren, Israel, Valente and his sons. How long did it take you to land the marlin.
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

I have been on one of Jay's great trips in La Paz and have heard nothing but good things about Gary Bulla's trips.

If you want to go to Loreto Carl Blackledge has that area dialed.

Baja is still the best value in saltwater fly fishing.

All who fly fish in the Delta from outboard skiffs would be prime candidates for a Baja trip.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Jay,

Jim was telling me that the rooster took him over two hours to get in and the marlin wasn't half the work that the rooster was.

Here's a pat on the back for Jim, both or all of the fish he took were taken on his 10 wt. because of it having an intermediate line. I can't imagine using anything less than a 12 wt on those bigger fish. Job well done on a 10 wt.
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Hey Jay
    I hope you are doing well. The marlin took about 40mins. The big rooster took almost 2 hours at one point I almost broke it off because I didn't want it to die, but then it started to come up. Israel pulled her in we got some pics and she swam away strong! I did fish with Valente his son JR Efren and Israel all good captains but I really like Efren and Israel. All the roosters in the pics were caught on Jay's wig hair flies.

I got a rooster in 2018 that took me around 3 hours to bring in. I also bought it on a TFO Axiom II 10wt. I was fishing with Jose, Efren and Israel papa, We hooked into the fish right by those 6 houses that are all different colors. At first, we thought it was a pargo, because it was in the rocks. Then It started moving to deeper water and the rod kept pumping side to side, Jose said grande Pez Gallo. The weird thing is I was using a TFO cast aluminum reel. But it was a large arbor and deep spool. I thought the reel was going to blow up.
    We got it to the boat and it took both of us to lift this thing into the boat. I gave Jose the heaviest part . I have attached two photo's, one of a yellow fin I had caught earlier in morning at the south end of cerralvo land, That took eb 2 hours to land. So only two fish that day. Jose have a lot of sashimi and poke that night. I'm heading back in Sept in hopes of getting into the yellow fin and a wahoo. I've been trying for a wahoo on the fly, hooked 3 landed none.
    Glad you had a good trip.
    Jay
    opps, I don't know how to post photo's to the site, send me your email address. and ai well send you the photo's
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Jay,

What do you mean "Oops"? We all want to see a three hour rooster. At least I do

I agree about posting pictures though. It's a pain in the ass. Every time I want a picture I have to go get my wife. I used to use Photobucket for years then they changed some damn thing and it stopped working like I was used to. Then John (the great black bass guy) said to try IMGAR. So now I moved some of the pictures I wanted from Photobucket to Imgar and everything worked again.
    Give it a try.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

So what is IMGAR. Is it like photo bucket
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

It's just like Photobucket except much more user friendly. Type it in and give it a try.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180