Thread: Salmon on the Fly - continued from below

Default Salmon on the Fly - continued from below

I had to do it this way in order to get my pictures to cooperate.

A few years back I used to guide the Feather for salmon and had some fantastic days when you were able to fish in the low-flow area. Then they decided to close it to all salmon fishing as it was more valuable for a spawning area. Believe me the poachers still have no problem getting into that area and black market salmon are sold everywhere in that area.

So, what does an honest guy have to do to catch a salmon on a fly in that part of the world? Simply drop down below the low flow and learn the river.

Fortunately, I spend a lot of time on both rivers (the Feather & Sac) primarily chasing striped bass, but this also gives me a chance to take an occasional salmon on a striper fly. And yes, they do eat clousers and just about any other fly you can put in their face. A little flash really helps.

I've attached a few of my most recent pictures of salmon taken in all three rivers including the American. As has been said in several of the other posts you need to explore and find a holding area, then get your line down deep and keep it moving. With one exception on the Feather. We had spotted fish busting on the surface in deep water chasing bait. Naturally this had to be striped bass. After a quick couple of casts I get a good grab right at the surface, and a beautiful chrome salmon come flying out of the water.

Over on the Sac just below Lovey's Landing we've taken several good salmon all on chartreuse clousers. One can still be seen hooked in the salmon's jaw. Others we've landed using nothing more than small steelhead flies. My best salmon (#40lbs) took a large marabou Popsicle fly on the American just below Ancil Hoffman Park.

If you've got a drift boat for covering lots of water, perfect. If you have to wade, stay off the redds and leave the spawners alone.
    Tony

Note: the clouser in the jaw?

Note: this one came on the surface chasing smolt

Note: check out the bead fly
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Ooooooo!! This is getting me fired up! Salmon are my all time favorite game fish.