Thread: The Evil Wind

Default The Evil Wind

I started looking at the Windfinder app a few months ago and figured out the area I like to fish in the Delta is the windiest place down there. I don't like getting kicked around by the wind and it seems like right now the wind is doling out an ass kicking just about every day. Rather than fight it I again opted for some water with a little wind protection but fewer bass. I did get a nice 3.5 pound bass on my favorite bug. It was not quite the fence panda I was looking for but I cruised around with out getting blown around so definitely a success. Maybe next week I will be ready to battle the wind. We'll see.

Another big bucketmouth !

I just got a hobie passport with pedal drive and want to try it this weekend- a big reason was when I used a paddle kayak I was unable to hold any position for more than a few seconds before getting moved.

How do you hold your spots when fishing?

Mr T - I pity the fool who does not have pedals. That is a Mr T reference. Pedals are essential. When I see a kayaker with a paddle only I figure I have the water to myself because they can’t move while they fish.

I have a rudder control lever on the left and the rod in my right hand. Pedal, cast with your right hand and adjust the rudder with your left hand as you go. Going downwind is a lot easier. If you are bass fishing you cruise along the shoreline casting to the left. You can cover the water very efficiently fishing for bass. If you are striper fishing it is better to stand up because you need long casts and hard strips. In that case you need light wind or you need to plan to drift with the wind and/or current, cast as you go and sit down every few casts to reposition the boat if needed.

What kind of fishing are you going to do?

Thanks for the info and the reference, I do use that screen name for the same reason.

A few weeks back I tried to fish Tahoe w a buddy and it was a joke. I never got to fish and he did w pedals, so that made the decision for me.

I fish for everything- trout bass striper kokanee, landlocked kings, bluegill. All of it!

If I was going to kayak fish for trout I would do some sinking line trolling and look for risers or cruisers and take a few rods so I was ready for them. I think that would work. I mostly fish bass and stripers in it. I did some ocean fishing for bottom fish. That was good but you really need some kind of cold water survival suit. I used a wetsuit which was uncomfortable but would have kept me alive for a while if I had fallen in.