Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Belize Flies.

Is this close to the average size?
    Don Memmer

WLREDBAND,with respect,have you ever fished Hawaii,Aitutaki,the Seychelles or the north west coast of Australia? These are some of the places where the biggest average sized Bonefish are found.Mostly we're talking ten pound plus fish here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Buzolich View Post
    I've fished Belize from Dangriga to Placencia and found the bones to be very small by comparison to anywhere else. I was even one of the first to use a SAGE RPLXi in a 6 wt. just because of the abundance of small fish there.

The original Blue Horizon with Lincoln Westby was our home base for several trips. Got my first permit there too.
    Tony

Thanks Tony......We fished at the Blue Horizon With Lincoln Westby who was a merchant marine in his early years. He is a really wonderful guy and always works hard for his clients. Permit expert Will Bauer was his American friend who helped get him started out there.

One day Lincoln took us for Tarpon in a panga inside a small island lagoon lined with mangroves. It got very hot and there was a loud bang and his ball cap blew up into the air? He had a Bic lighter and cigarettes under his black ball cap and it exploded in the intense heat.

In the afternoons I would go out snorkeling with the teenagers and gather lobsters and conch for dinner.

The Blue Horizon Lodge is in the middle of the "Permit Triangle" in Randy Kaufmanns wonderful book, Bonefishing.

Lincoln and his brothers Joel and David are the most famous guides in Belize.

The Blue Horizon Lodge is one of the most famous Permit destinations in Belize.

https://bluehorizonbelize.com/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Apologies to the chap who asked for some information specifically about flies with the obvious hijack. It seems that I'm about the only one who offered any information that even mentioned Belize flies and the rest is a my johnson is bigger than yours war, including irrelevant dick pix. No Thanks, but I'll pass on that. I actually hope that someone posts some more information about Belize flies to help answer the chaps actual question, but that doesn't seem to be happening.
    Last edited by WLREDBAND; 07-20-2021 at 06:49 AM.

WLREDBAND, thanks for your useful info on fishing Belize. I haven't fished there. I have had clients who have fished there and have only caught small bones.

They ask to use Bonefish Bitters here in Hawaii, because they used them in Belize. I have not caught a fish on Bitters in Hawaii, so I tell them no.

On Christmas Island we did scale down flies to sized 08, and caught more bones, but smaller ones on the back flats and pancakes. I hope to go back there next March if they all get vaccinated, and hopefully the fishing will be great, and they will take flies pretty readily. They were getting jaded on CI with all of the pressure before the pandemic.

I have fished Bahamas and did land a couple of 8 lbers, but nothing that compares to Hawaii for size. My question is will a size 10 hook really hold a 10 lb bonefish? I have had 10 lber straighten a 06 hook in a flash. I have gotten some 5, 6lber on size 08, but really a 10 lber on a 10 hook?

Sorry if my picture offended you, that is just an average sized bone here in Hawaii. If you really want Boner envy have Dynaflow post his pic of his Aitutaki pig.

If they stopped netting in Belize, then great, I wish we could get Bones protected here in Hawaii. No hard feelings, and if you got an 8 lber on a 10 hook, then more power to you, congrats. Mems.
    Don Memmer

Default Belize Bones....

"Just got back from there last SUN. I know what I saw and landed. Since the netting has stopped a few years ago (Thank you Turneffe Atoll Trust), the fish have responded in a big way. And Turneffe is NOT Placencia, where netting still occurs, it's a long long way from there. Turneffe has the biggest average size for bones of any place I've fished over the past 30 years."

Well,.... I guess all those little Bones I saw grew up to be big bones. Good to know.

As to flies for Turneffe Flats, the lodge has a supply of a number of different style flies in various sizes for sale. If the idea is to tie flies, the owner of Blue Ribbon Flies produced a DVD about the flies used at Turneffe Flats that included recipes for the patterns. Have no idea if it's still available but give them a call or try the internet.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Turneffe Atoll is the best place for Bonefish in Belize because it is off the coast on an atoll and the locals protect it well.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........