Thread: Big Sky MT mid August - Madison or Gallatin?

Default Big Sky MT mid August - Madison or Gallatin?

I'll be in Big Sky MT for a week in mid August. Looking for recommendations. Looks like the Madison and Gallatin are close. I'm sure either one will be amazing but just looking for any intel if anyone is familiar with this area. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pupa View Post
    I'll be in Big Sky MT for a week in mid August. Looking for recommendations. Looks like the Madison and Gallatin are close. I'm sure either one will be amazing but just looking for any intel if anyone is familiar with this area. Thanks!
    Be ready for hoot owl restrictions or possibly full closures if it stays as hot as it’s been

The smaller high elevation streams and YNP might be options too depending what the weather does

I’ll be in Driggs the next couple weeks and will let you know how it’s looking

I just fished the Madison yesterday. Plenty of water coming out of Hebgen, 1300 cfs. It fished well. Did Mac-to Varney Bridge float. It could be that many of the other rivers are either hoot owled or closed, like the BigHole is,and The Madison gets even more traffic than usual. Rumor is that the water release for the Beaverhead is going down to 100 cfs come August 1.

Somebody drove up and down the Madison slashing tires on rigs with out of state plates this week, so watch out for that. Things are hot and low, probably not an amazing year, especially come August. If you prefer sitting in traffic the park is your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    Somebody drove up and down the Madison slashing tires on rigs with out of state plates this week, so watch out for that
    Great

WTF is wrong with everyone these days?

I am sick and tired of all the xenophobic, R vs. D, anti-this and anti-that posts and rhetoric in this country. It wasn't that long we were the United States instead of the Divided States.

Anyways, back on topic...

@Pupa, turns out I will be in Driggs 8/14-17, not sure if that overlaps with your time, but if you have a MT tagged rental car and want to hit the Madison, maybe we can leave my CA-tagged Jeep in WYS somewhere and walk around a bit. Shoot me a PM if interested. I will fly in on the morning of the 14th and have some modest flexibility in my schedule.
    Last edited by PV_Premier; 07-15-2021 at 06:33 PM.

Nothing to do with the post other than irony, I was talking to some old 1978 San Rafael High School buddies and found out that the three of us were within about 200 feet of one another in Ennis this past Saturday, and none of us saw one another! That would have been fun.

Both the Madison and Gallatin went under Hoot Owl restrictions effective today. You can go on Montana FWP website for more detailed information regarding which stretches of the rivers are being impacted, FYI

Quote Originally Posted by yubaman View Post
    Both the Madison and Gallatin went under Hoot Owl restrictions effective today. You can go on Montana FWP website for more detailed information regarding which stretches of the rivers are being impacted, FYI
    To clarify, the Madison is Hoot Owl from YNP boundary to the mouth. In the Park, one probably shouldn't be fishing other than the early morning either, but it's technically legal.

Gallatin is only impacted north of MT-84 bridge...the canyon water and points south are not Hoot Owl.

That said, pack your thermometer all over the Idaho/Wyoming/SWMT region right now on the freestones and don't fish if it looks too low compared to the historic HWM. There are places to fish but you need to seek them out carefully and be selective.

Default YNP

I was there for a week and fished the Gallatin, Madison, Upper Yellowstone, Slough & Soda Butte. The temps have lowered quite a bit and some moisture have showed up so my guess is Hoot Owls could be lifted soon. The Gallatin inside the YNP fished very well after 4 PM despite the heat since the water is supposedly colder. Craig Matthews has a great book on fishing Yellowstone which I recommend. It even mentions the waters which don't hold fish. We used guides for 3 of the days from Blue Ribbon, Big Sky Anglers and Madison River Outfitters. All were good however i would give a slight edge to Big Sky Anglers. Make sure you make it to Riverhouse BBQ. Good Luck.

It should be stated that all YNP rivers are now also in hoot owl from July 24th until further notice.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/news/21021.htm

Indeed, the heat has moderated across eastern Idaho/SWMT/west WY quite a bit the past few days, along with a good amount of monsoon storm activity. This has kept things from becoming a complete disaster, but caution is still needed.